RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have an RV refrigerator that needs to be repaired..costly..leaking…

Customer Question
We have an RV refrigerator...
We have an RV refrigerator that needs to be repaired. To purchase a new one is too costly. Anyone know about refrigeration repair when the ammonia is leaking?

I believe the power pack needs to be replaced. It's a gas/electric refrigerator.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/12/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Yes, most of these can be rebuilt. If you give me the make and model of your refer I can give you a more definitive idea of cost. It this is in your RV it should be a Dometic or a Norcold. The data tag is on the inside wall and has the model number. I will watch for your post. R.J.

Norcold Model 682

input 1500

2.7 amps 30 wats

I don't know if you needed all of that. But, is it possible for my husband to fix it himmself? He can fix anything, but he didn't want to mess with this because of the ammonia. He didn't know what to do.

Yes, if he is mechanically minded it isn't that tough. Where are you located? This may make a difference in the cost of the rebuilt cooling unit. Let me know and I can give you an approximate cost. R.J.
Dallas, TX
Well, I am sure there must be a source for the cooling units in that area. The ones I really like are rebuilt in Oregon. We had them shipped to us in California. They run around $500 or maybe a little less plus shipping. It would take him about 4 or 5 hours to change it out.
It doesn't take any special tools. You have to take that whole back off and replace it. It is sealed so there are no chemicals to mess with. I would call a few local dealers and ask them for a price on the cooling unit. Just give them the model as a Norcold 682. This had a recall out on it and that should be done if it hasn't been yet. Norcold pays for that. I will check tomorrow and see what I can find for cooling unit prices as well. I will also get you a Service Manual so you have something to work off of. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
thanks so much
I will get back to you tomorrow with some figures and sources. Check in your area. Go HERE for a manual link........I would print it out or Bookmark it for reference. Lots of good stuff in there! R.J.