RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2004 Fleetwood: air conditioning work fine..rv..switches…

I have 2004 Fleetwood Discovery...
I have 2004 Fleetwood Discovery, on a recent trip I started having trouble with the electrical sytem. The 110 volt items and air conditioning work fine on the generator or shore power but items such as microwave which is routed trough the inverter do not work without turning on the inverter, this has never been the case before when using generator or shore power. The RV is equipped with Intelletic power management, which my understanding switches the sources of power when it detects a different source. I am trying to figure out if it could be the power management system or the inverter or any thing else. One other note is that the inverter is not charging the house batteries when the generator or shore power are in use, they charge fine when the main engine is running. Thanks for the help. John Standridge
5/4/2010
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Hi John,
From what you have said the problem will be in the inverter,which inverter is in the coach, can you give me make and model if you have it.
Have you checked the 110 volt breakers on the inverter?
It has a xantrex freedom 458, I have checked the breakers on the inverter and they were ok. The reason I questioned the power management is because the items that do not come on ie microwave have always worked off the generator or shore power even with the inverter turned off. When I did run the engine and charged the house batteries the inverter did power the micro and TV. thanks John
If you pull the cover in the front where the 110 volt wires are,plugged into shore power,inverter turned off,you should get a reading on the input wires of 110 volts and also the output wires should be reading 110 volts as well,if not,the relay inside the inverter is not switching when the coach is plugged into shore power,any time you are plugged into shore power the relay energizes and 110 volts goes straight through the inverter,this relay is on the same board as the charge circuit?
The inverter is repairable,we have a place we take ours to here in Albuquerque,if you contact xantrex they should be able to give you a repair center near you as well.
14089876030 is there number.
gene
gene, RV Mechanic