RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

110 volt..No circuit breakers were tripped in the rv or the house.

I was running my A/C...
I was running my A/C and watch a dvd on my widescreen tv while plugged into a 110 volt receptacle in my house when all of a sudden all of my 110 outlets in the RV shutdown. No circuit breakers were tripped in the RV or the house. What happened? Also there is no power to the 110 outlets when the generator is running.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/14/2010
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Check for a GFI receptacle,either in the bath or in the kitchen,reset if needed,also shut each breaker off,all the way down and then back on,some of the breakers need to be reset by pushing down and you will feel it click and the back on,if you are using a shop extension cord be sure it is a heavy duty and as short as possible.

I did reset all the circuit breakers and I am only using the rv power cord still no power to the 110 volt outlets. I will check the gfci switches now and let you know. Thanks.

Jamie

I"ll wait for your reply
the gfci is fine, it is weird but I get a reading of 8 volt when I switch the voltmeter down to 10 volts but that is it.
Does this unit have an inverter in it,if so you need to check the breakers on it as well.
I am not sure if it does or not, but the ac works when the genny is on it is just the outlets that are getting no power whether from the generator or house power. Where would I find the inverter to check it anyway? Jamie
Jamie,
The reason I asked is most units with an inverter will run some outlets and of coarse the entertainment center,if the breaker on the inverter trips it will loose power to these outlets,it will be in an outside compartment,normally close to the batteries.Let me know,depending on the inverter you should also have a control panel inside for it.
Well the batteries are in the step going into the RV and there is nothing like that there, plus all my 110 volt outlets are not working not just the entertainment center (front to back no power to the outlets).
Here is where I would start,pull the cover off the breaker box,with your meter on 110 volts a/c,check the voltage coming out of each breaker,should have 110 volts between the common bar and the output on each breaker,if that checks good I would go to the GFI recept,pull it,you should have 110 volts on the line side,it is marked,and 110 volts out of it,if you have nothing out replace the GFI.Start here and let me know.
Alright I will try that but I am going to have to wait until tomorrow as I have no power right now and it is late here. I will let you know tomorrow if it worked. Jamie
Ok,
I may be working late but I will be here tomorrow.

Gene,

I tested the GFCI and the only way I read voltage is if I put the voltmeter on the hot wire and the ground wire not the hot and the common. Same with the circuit panel I tested the hotwire of each circuit breaker and the common bar and got nothing but when I tested the hot with the ground I got voltage. I then went and tested multiple outlets and got the same ground + hot += voltage, hot + common = zip. This is not correct is it?

Jamie,
Is it the same on generator as well as power cord,if so you need to go to the transfer switch,remove the cover,you should be reading 110 volts coming in on the power cord,black and white and 110 volts going out to the control panel on the hot and common,check for loose connections as well in the transfer box,you have to have a reading of 110 volts on the common-white wire and the black-hot wire or nothing in that coach will work.

Yes it is the same as on the generator and power cord. I will check the transfer switch though I am not sure exactly where that is. There is a box on the back of the circuit panel that the main power goes into both the generator and the power cord. Is that the transfer switch? If it is do those go bad or would it just be a case of something loose, or do I need to replace the transfer switch?

Jamie

That is the transfer switch,pull the cover,I have found loose wire nuts inside,it may be all it is, is a loose connection.There will also be a wiring diagram inside as well,sounds like the problem is there.Let me know.

Gene,

Thanks I will try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes. If there are loose wire nuts I think I am going to replace them with butt connectors or just solder them together.

Jamie

You can use new wires nuts but tape them so the road vibration don;t work the loose.Solder is probably even better.
Cool, I will go ahead and try that, I will let you know what happens.

Jamie
Let me know
gene
gene, RV Mechanic

Gene,

You were exactly right, the terminal strip was totally burnt at the end where the panel wires were attached. It happened because one of the wires came loose and arced (ALOT). Thanks for all your help. You were great. Jamie

No problem.Let me know if you need anything else,Gene