RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2005 winnebabo view with 5 cyl. diesal. A dealership…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 winnebabo...
I have a 2005 winnebabo view with 5 cyl. diesal. A dealership has replaced the motor and brake system in repairs for a slide that was only opening and closing part way and finally had very limited movement.(This problem first arose after camping in a very windy location in the Waterton Internation Pârk in southern Alberta. Our slide was open overnight and we experienced heary wind gusts. Could this be a source of the problem...) When I first tested the repairs the slide moved in and out after one or two trials, however, it will not completely close on the front sealing edge leaving an unsealed gap of one to two inches.   
When the mechanic followed up we found what looked like some kind of belt or chain type belt drive curled up under the front part of the slide.   At this point the dealership does not appear to know what the problem is but says they have contacted Winnibago, but still no results after a week and I do not want their service efforts to continue to drag on much longer before seeking help elsewhere!! It appears to me the dealership mechanics do not know what they are doing.   Any suggestions about the possible problem would be helpful.   Thanks, Burt in Edmonton , Ab.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
4/10/2010
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

Do you know the manufacturer of the slide room? is this a Kwikee and do you also have an awning on that slide room?

Thanks, Robert

The slide has a retractable awning. Not sure of slide manufacturer...from reading other reports I assummed Winnebago used the one by HWH... My manual is in my RV at the dealers with the info required and will have to contact them or retrieve it Monday or Tuesday...Thanks, Burt

OK

That helps, if it is a hydraulic slide room then it very well could be HWH and they do have some chain drive operated rooms. IF it is an all electric slide room it can not be HWH but could be power gear or kwikke. I asked about the awning becasue if something got bent during the strong winds the awning could be holding the room up from sealing. The test would be to remove it and see if the awning seals. I am puzzled by the material that the shop found, some slide room seals use a inner channel that is metal and I have seen some of them come apart. If it was an actual chain then it could be a HWH room. They are pretty good folks to work with. I will do some digging around to see if I can find out what system you might have, IF I find out I will respond again...

Thanks, Robert

hello robert, the service people at woody's rv tell me the slide will need a new gearbox so it must be a hydraulic slide and . I assume from you it therefor must be a HWH, altho the service lady could not confirm. The cost quote for a new gearbox (which they supposedly repaired the first time around) will be $1300 plus 2 hrs. labour. They made no comment about the belt/chain attachment on the underside at the front of the slide which to me appeared to be broken...but they assured me they are putting their top tech on the repair so I can ony hope they know what they are doing. Any comments about this from you would help me stay on top of what the problem may turn out to be, since I'm not sure how this will solve the problem of the front part of the slide not closing to create a seal after their first repair efforts. In other words, if the gearbox was able to move the slide after the first repair why cpould it not complete the last 1 or 2 inches. Also do the costs appear reasonable. Thanks Burt. ....Since I'm new to this site I expect your fee is covered when I push the ACCEPT ANSWER button on your return response.....

OK

First yes, when you are satisfied you can hit the accept and then I get paid from Just Answer...

Sometimes on these slide rooms a pin can shear for the motor when this occurs it is possible that the pin gets wedged and this would make the room stop short, it would still run but might not be able to fully extend or retract. Normally the HWH system uses a ram for the hydraulics that push the room in and out. The ram gets high pressure from a manifold/pump. Really no gear boxes for that system... HWH is all about the hydraulic slide rooms, recently they made a chain driven system and sometimes the rollers would come off of the chain and the room would run but poorly. The electric slides have big motor and require good voltage for running them. These might have a gear box as the motor has to attach to something to move the room.... IF I was in your position I would ask for the old parts. The labor they are charging seems correct and the price for a new motor would cost pretty close to that. They also should test at least a dozen times and make sure the room does not need an adjustment.

My only other concern is you mentioned wind when this happened. Sometimes the slats can get bent or the fabric can get stuck on top of the slide room and prevent it from going in all the way. I would think a good shop would see that right away...

Even after you hit Accept you can come back with any follow up concerns and I would be more then happy to help you....

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic