RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1998 Fleetwood: Southwind..RV...windshield).Plugin..one under…

Electric Problems in 1998 Fleetwood...
Electric Problems in 1998 Fleetwood Southwind RV. The fridge, microwave, plugin under cabinet by stove and TV plugin are working, all on the right side (looking out windshield).
Plugin between one by stove and the TV not working. None on the left side are working, which is one under dining table, one in bathroom and two beside bed. One in corner where TV was in bedroom is working. Checked the breakers and they are working correctly (Ohm Meter). Do you know what to do or is a wiring schematic needed? Where to get the schematic?
3/15/2010
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I believe I can assist you with this. The problem is probably the GFCI needs to be reset. Look around the kitchen counter or in the bathroom. If you don't know what they look like I can grab a link to a photo. They have the reset button right on the receptacle. If you still need a manual you can call Fleetwood Customer Service at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand obtain one for about $15 or so. They are available in hard copy or PDF download. I have been told they are quite helpful. Please get back to me if you have additional questions relating to this issue. IF you found this information helpful, please hit the "ACCEPT' tab so I get credit for assisting you. All the best, R.J.

Yes, we did the reset buttons, did not work. I think maybe a connector may be undone

somewhere!?

Did they not reset? Was the shore cord plugged in as that is necessary. If they don't reset then they may be bad and need replacement. Test that by disconnecting anything plugged into them to eliminate that as a cause. They aren't hard to replace as a rule. Is this problem with just one or more than one? It would be pretty strange to have more than one go out at the same time. Determine if they are good or bad first. You can take a VOM meter and check the feed side to see if there is power to it. If there is and it won't reset then it is bad or you have something plugged in that is giving a short signal. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. R.J.

The plugin by the stove has a reset button it works. The one in the bathroom will not work although we reset it (it stays reset). One on each side of the bed do not work,

one in living area between the one by the stove and the TV does not work, one under the dining table does not work....NONE of these have the reset button, all are regular plugins. If you do not know how the wiring runs, such as down the side under the cabinets, or between the ceiling panels I am going to assume I need a schematic guide.

The tie multiple outlets to just one GFCI. The one in the bath sounds like the problem. Take a reading and see if you have power out of it once you have reset it. It could still be defective. The wiring is usually in the walls for the outlets and sometimes follows along the floor in black loom wrap. I am betting the GFCI is the problem. Could be a loose wire coming out of it. Let me know if you need more help. R.J.

I'll go check , this may take several minutes..........

Not a problem..........I will watch for your post.

Well, the plug had no power at all but my husband then remembered he had taken out the water heater to repair a leak when we stored the mh. The junction box down by the heater had something he did to it and all is now ok. This is the first time we had it out since storage. The bathroom plugin is right above the heater which made him think of it.

So am glad you replied with your info! Will up your charge price to $20.

Thank you for your help.

Glad you were able to get to the bottom of it. A GFCI is very sensitive to any type of grounding and can happen when you don't get enough insulation on wiring connections or have them wet. Thanks for the offer to add some........a bonus is always nice! Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. All the best, R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for the nice bonus and the positive feedback as well.......much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Best2u, R.J.