RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1995 Safari: 36 foot, diesel pusher..batteries..fried

I've got a 1995 Safari...
I've got a 1995 Safari Serengeti, 36 foot, diesel pusher. The house batteries fried on me and I need to replace them. The ones I have are Power Connection, 27-EV, Deep Cycle marine battery. But I can't tell if these are 12 volt or 6 volt, or what ever. I've got an Onan 6300 LP genset with a Heart Interface Freedom model 20-DAny clues as to what type of battery I should be getting?
2/28/2010
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Easy way to tell besides size of the battery.
12 volt batteries will have 6 cell's,2 caps with 3 cells under each cap,on top of each battery.
6 volt batteries will have only three cells on top of the battery.
When you get ready to change the batteries,use a piece of paper and draw a map of the wires and where they are going.To positive or negative?
Tag the wires if needed with tape to identify them,you can take a picture of the batteries for reference as well.We have alot of people ask how they hook up there batteries after they take them out and don't remember how they were hooked up?If they are not hooked up correctly it can also damage the converter and other electrical components as well.
Just be sure you hook the new batteries up the same way the old ones were and you will have no problems.

Edited by gene on 2/28/2010 at 8:19 PM EST
Thanks Gene,

There were 6 caps, so it looks like a 12 volt. And I'm assuming it's a 27 group, since it says EV-27.

I've got another related question and will pay you more money for this... Once I get the new house batteries, how does it all work together to use house electricity and to keep it charged?

On the outside of the RV I've got:

- The Onan Generator
- The Heart Interface (is this an inverter?)
- The big yellow plug with big round metal connector (for shore power?)

On the inside I've got:

- A Heart Interface switch with a bunch of lights (in the kitchen)
- The fuse box
- A house battery "on and off" switch.

I'm really confused about how it all works together.

-Like, when the generator is on, does it automatically charge the house batteries?
-When I'm driving the RV, do the house batteries get charged by the alternator?
- What does that Heart Interface switch do in the kitchen?
- What is the outside Heart Interface equipment for?
- What is the correct process for hooking into shore power (is shore power the correct term?)
- Are there any electrical dangers I need to look out for when either using the genset or the shore power?
- Any tips or suggestions for keeping the house batteries charged up?

I've very new at this, know nothing, and our manual is lost.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark,
They are group 27 batteries,we use Interstate batt's in our shop,nation wide company and we have had good luck with them.
When you are driving the alt charges the engine and house batts.
On shore power,the inverter charges the house batt's,when you are not using the coach and it is not plugged into shore power that is when you turn the 12 volt cut off switch to off,this will kill all power to the inside of the coach and keep the house batt from going dead.You will still have to start the motor and charge the engine batt,over long periods start it every couple of weeks and keep it charged up,I would start the generator as well,that way the generator stays in good service,ready to go when you are.You can keep the coach plugged in all the time,even in storage,just check the water in the batts once a month,top them off as needed,don't let the water get below the plates.12 volt kill switch needs to be on when plugged into shore power.
The inverter,if you are dry camping,not running the generator or plugged into shore power,turn on the inverter,it will power up tv's and some outlets in the unit.The inverter takes power out of the house batt's and produces 110 volts,so your batt's are being drained by the inverter when you are using it.You can watch the panel and see how much batt power you have left when you use it.
The generator,when you need 110 volts in unit,you can use the generator,it will operate everything in the unit,just like being on shore power,only the generator is producing the power.
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Thanks!
Mark,
Your welcome.
If you need anything else ask for me and I'll get it.