RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2009 Jayco Melbourne 29D. My problem is blowing the…

Customer Question
I have a 2009 Jayco...
I have a 2009 Jayco Melbourne 29D. My problem is blowing the 5 amp fuse & losing all of my dc power. The slides will not come back in, refrierator is off & lights do not work. I have been able to change the fuse & get the system working. However, now I cannot insert a fuse without it blowing immediatly. When it first started, I pulled out the battery tray & it began to work. I went on a Florida trip & it happened twice. I am back home now & last night I had the furnace set to come on below 40 degrees & it did. In the morning the fuse had blown again & I cannot insert this fuse without it blowing. There are two fuses located on the back wall of the battery tray. There is a 5 amp & a 7.5 amp fuse.
Any help would be appreciated. Customer
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
1/29/2010
RV Mechanic: R & K RV, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Can you tell me if you have a battery disconnect relay? Is it an Intellitec?
Thank you,
Ronnie

Ronnie:

There is a battery disconnect by the entry door. I do not know the brand; however, the manual says that it is a latching type solenoid.

Ok,
It could be one of a few different brands but do you know if you have 12 volts on both sides when the fuses are blown? Most setups go directly from the battery to the disconnect relay, then to an auto breaker. Intellitec uses two five amp fuses. I am wondering if the coil on the relay is going bad which is preventing the relay from latching completely. This would shut you down.
Fuses with that low amperage will be for control only. The auto breaker (or possibly a resettable breaker) handles the higher amperage for the load side.
Do you have a volt meter? I can help you with some troubleshooting and we will see if we can resolve the issue.
Thanks,
Ronnie

I do not have a volt meter. The 12 volt system on both sides is dead with no power anywhere. The prior owner of this unit may have had this problem & may have inserted a 7.5 amp fuse for one of the fuses. There are two slots for fuses. I cannot insert a five amp fuse without the fuse blowing. At this point my slides are in and I can drive; but, without 12 volt power. Is there anything you can think of I can try before going to the shop.

Ronnie, thanks for you help.

Steve (Customer)

Can you tell if there is anything before the disconnect relay. Most of the time, the battery cable runs directly to the disconnect first. If not, there will be an auto breaker between the battery cable and the relay. Since you do not have power on either side, there has to be some device in between the two. A 5 or 7.5 amp fuse is not large enough to handle the load on the battery side. That is why those must be control fuses for the disconnect system or someone has installed them in the wrong place. Most auto breakers are 30 amps and up depending on the wire size from the battery. They are there to protect the wiring from overheating.
Take a look and tell me how it looks to be wired and we will see if we can keep you out of the shop.
Thank you,
Ronnie

Ronnie:

I am going out to the rv to take a look. I'll be back on line soon.

Steve

Sounds good. I will be online all day.

Ronnie:

There does not seem to be anything connected between the battery & the the disconnect relay. There are wires coming off the battery that seem to go into a wiring harness that will feed to the interior 12 volt system.

Did you mention that you had no voltage on either side of the disconnect relay? If the battery goes directly to the relay and you do not have 12 volts on one side, then there is a problem with the cable. If you have it on one side and not the other (the side going in to the power distribution) then I would say that the relay is bad. One way to see is jump the two large terminals on the disconnect and see if power is restored. If it is, then the small fuses are control power for the relay and you probably have a shorted relay coil or shorted wiring to your disconnect switch. Without a meter, it will be hard to tell but if you bypass the relay by jumping, this will isolate the problem. Use some jumper cables as there are large enough wire to handle the load. Turn everything inside off first so that you don't have sparks.
Keep me posted.
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic

Ronnie:

I will try the cable jump & see if this isolates the problem. In either event, I will have to take it to the shop & see if they can do the repairs. I will show them our discussion which should help the rv tech to isolate & repair the problem. I believe that your answers are the solution to the problem or very close to it.

Ronnie thanks for your help. I am signing off by accepting your solution.

Thanks again.

Steve

Thank you Steve. I hope that it is as simple as a bad relay and that it doesn't get too deep in your pocket. Good luck and Happy Camping.
Ronnie