RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a atwood water heater that works..first turn..kick back..stays…

Customer Question
Hi there. I have a...
Hi there. I have a atwood water heater that works when you first turn it on but when you use the hot water the heater doesnt kick back on, also my red light on the switch stays on. any ideas?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
1/20/2010
RV Mechanic: R & K RV, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Can you give me the model number of the water heater? It will be located on a tag inside of the outdoor cover. This will allow me to pull the correct service manual on this unit in order to assist you better.
Thank you,
Ronnie
Ronnie, it is G6A-8E.
Ok,
HERE is the service manual which covers your unit as well as others.
The red light will come on when you first turn it on and go out once a flame has been established. If it comes back on, that means that one of the safetys have it locked out. This is usually a thermostat, high temp cutout, or ECO that has gone bad.
If you want to verify that this is the issue, take a volt meter or test light and check the voltage on each side of the three devices to see if one is open. Here is a print to show you the circuit. 12 volts at the switch is sent to the high temp cutout then to the thermostat. It sends 12 volts to the board from there. The ECO shuts of the gas valve. If the gas valve shuts off, the board locks out and your light comes on.
Let me know if this helps.
Thank you,
Ronnie
graphic
Ronnie, The red light comes on as soon as I turn on the switch. It will stay on, meanwhile the heater will keep running, The heater just doesnt come back on when the water gets cooler.
Ok,
The light should come on when you flip the switch but should go out and stay out unless a lockout condition occurs. During the first heating cycle, the water should reach 140 degrees then shut off power to the control board(thermostat opens). Once the water cools down to 115 degrees, the thermostat closes sending power back to the ignitor board starting the process over. If your light is staying on, that could be a control board issue. The board send 12 volts from the blue wire to power the light.
Can you tell if the unit is trying to light a flame after the first cycle? This would tell us if the board is the issue. If it is trying to ignite, that would alleviate any safetys issue.
The OEM boards were bad about getting hot and failing as they are epoxy encapsulated and can't "breath". This would explain the one time heat cycle.
Keep me posted.
Thanks,
Ronnie
No it is not trying to start up after the first cycle. Also now when I turn the switch on the heater just stays running.....
If the heater is running, all of the safetys are closed. With the light staying on all of the time, and all of the safetys closed, that tells me that you have a problem in your control board. One way to know for sure is to check for 12 volts on the brown wire on the board wiring harness once it is ready to start a second cycle. You can expedite this by turning on the hot water and letting it run. It will kick back on rather quickly. If you have an outside shower, you can do it there to keep from filling you holding tank (unless you are on a sewer system).
If there is voltage on the brown wire, the board should start ignition. If it doesn't try, the board is bad.
If there is no voltage, move to the other side of the thermostat then the cutout and see if voltage is present. If not, that means that it is not getting there from the switch. It is possible that the switch is bad internally but that is a rare occurrence.
Let me know what you find.
Thanks,
Ronnie

why is it not turning off now?

There are two safetys that will take it down eventually. The thermostat (if good) will cut the power at 130 degrees. If that fails, the ECO will shut off the gas valve at 180 degrees. If all else fails, the relief valve will open. I have never seen one where all of the safetys failed. Hoe long has it been running and is the tank full?
It will not shut off intil I turn off the switch
Ok,
It should take around 20 - 25 minutes to reach temperature. If it runs longer than that and the thermostat doesn't kick it down, then the thermostat is bad or your flame or gas pressure is out of whack causing the water not to reach temp. Do you have a way of measuring the water temp? I am curious to know if it is getting hotter than it should. If you have an oven thermometer, you can run the water over it and see what it reads. If it got too hot, the ECO should shut off the gas valve and the relief valve would weep. The actual water temp will tell us a lot.
Do you have a history on this unit or is it new to you? The more that I know about the better.
Thanks,
Ronnie
Ronnie, put a used board in and that seems to have worked.... Thanks for your help.
I am glad to hear it. I hope that it does alright for you. Let me know if it doesn't.
Thanks and have a good evening,
Ronnie
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic