RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

ford: propane the flame goes out in a few seconds ..it lights..clicks…

Customer Question
have a ford jamboree m...
have a ford jamboree m home the frig will work on elec, but on propane the flame goes out in a few seconds ..it lights it self then clicks and flame goes out then it lits it self again ...i know about somthing getting in the orfis tried to clean the bugger off the tip usualy works now it doesent ...any ideas...
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
12/15/2009
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I believe I can assist you with this, but first a question or two. What is the make and model of your refer unit? When did you last have the LP pressure checked at the regulator? Get back to me and I will help you resolve this issue. All the best, R.J.
havent checked pressure new at this.. the tank is low about 1quarter left stove works fine . would it b smart to fill it first ..last time it was filled was a long time ago mot, home was sitting for a wile.. dont know brand of frig ..its at storage ..
The LP pressure is determined by the setting and adjustment on the regulator and not by how much is in the tank. The problem you describe can be caused by several things. Low LP pressure is responsible for a host of gas related issues. The stove top uses less pressure than the refer and has it's own regulator. The other thing can be a dirty flue and this should be cleaned at least once a year. If this unit has an electronic control board, then it sounds like the flame sense portion of the board may be bad. What happens is that the board sends out a signal to ignite and open the gas valve, but if there isn't a return signal received that the flame is on, then the board closed the gas valve. If the flame sense is bad, it won't "see" the flame is really going. You can have the board tested at any repair shop. The cost for a new one depends on the make and model. If this is a model with a separate thermocouple, then I'd have that checked as well. There should be a data tag just inside the door or on the back. It should be a Dometic or Norcold. If this has an electronic board you need to be sure the battery voltage is maintained above 11 VDC or it won't funcition correctly. I hope that is helpful and if so, please hit the "accept" tab so I get credit for assisting you. All the best, R.J.