RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2 electric heaters on in our 2001 aljo Travel trailer..converter…

Customer Question
Hello, We had 2 electric...
Hello, We had 2 electric heaters on in our 2001 Aljo Travel trailer. One in the bedroom, and one in the living area. We woke in the middle of the night to no power, we had had the breaker in the DC converter box flip before, so we went to go reset it. None of the breakers were flipped, inside or out. We found the shore plug to be burnt, bought a new one, pushed the button under the kitchen sink for the GFI. And now we only have power to most of the lights, and a few of the outlets. So the Fridge, microwave, ac, furnace, hot water heater, a few lights and about half of the outlets are not working. Also we still have power from the other breaker box (outside) which powers the washer and dryer, and one outlet, but we didn't lose that power before when we lost everything else. We can't take the camper in, as it is in a permanet location, and we would have to tear to much down to get it out. No electricians want to drive out to our remote location and work on it. Have any idea's?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
12/10/2009
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 12 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Most of the items you mention are on the gfi circuit, lets look at that first, go to it, and try to 'reset' it, by pressing test , then you should hear a 'click' the the other button will POP out, then you press the reset back in, and it "should" work, if it does not do anything, A) no power to it (have a voltmeter?) or its bad.........Michael
The GFI that we pressed before is what turned back on the lights, and some outlets, and let the fridge light via the gas, but what we pressed looks a little different then the GFI's I have seen before. This one is under the kitchen sink, and is a little square grey box, with a single little black button on it, and 2 black cables that are hooked up to it via 2 srews, and bolts. There is no reset button.
Look in the bathroom, that component you speak of is interesting......... It could be a 12 volt unit, as you suggest the refer started working on gas, that is a purely dc function do you see this anywhere?graphic

No, we don't have one of thoughs anywhere. I did find another one of the grey boxes with the black switch in where the pump for the slide out is (one of the side compartments) And everything is working now!

Would you suggest changing the little grey ones to the conventional GFI with the plug?

Interesting question, I am not sure what the component is you are refering to, so I'm not comfortable with answering that, can you get a picture of it and send it to me?
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician

I was trying to take a picture for you, but my camera is out of battery power. It's ok, we'll just leave them as is:) Thanks for your help!

Great, if you have any more problems let me know, thanks for accepting..........Michael