RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Coach batteries are at 8 volts and dont seem to be charging.

Customer Question
Coach batteries are at 8...
Coach batteries are at 8 volts and don’t seem to be charging.
They are original batteries in a 2004 coach
I just cleaned terminals and levels are full, added a little distilled water.
Hooked up to 50 amps, why doesn’t this override everything?
Lots of “no power”, no microwave, no plugs, most power is 12 volts.
Again, why won’t 50 amps override all other circuits and what can we do?
Also, in the absence of power, can we plug the refrigerator into a 110 volt extension cord?
We have a xantrex freedom 458 inverter/charger.

It is 8:35 pm where we are now and will be going to bed by probably about 10:30 pm.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
11/29/2009
RV Mechanic: R & K RV, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic
The inverter may have tripped a breaker which will cause this issue. It gets the shore power and sends it through a breaker to a sub panel that has separate breakers for the branch circuits (ie: microwave, ect). It will also have breakers for the inverter circuits and the battery charging circuit. If the battery voltage falls below 10 volts, the inverter portion will shut down. If you have a generator, the inverter will also have an auto transfer built in that can be problematic. Another thing to check is a fuse or breaker that MUST be within 18" of the battery.
Your 50 amp service from shore power will go directly to the inverter. That is the first place to start. The breakers are the first step.
HERE is the manual for the inverter in case you do not have it. HERE shows a good wiring diagram of typical installations.
Check the above mentioned items and let me know your findings.
Thank you,
Ronnie
There is no "pass thru" voltage going to the bedroom panel - reset 50 amps - reset both breakers on remote inverter box - nothing, no lites on microwave clock, refrig won't operate, inverter remote reads ac in fault with blinking low battery, red LED.

Hope the food in the frig holds, will ice tomorrow. Now carbon monoixde sensor is beeping.
We are going to bed now. We'll talk in the morning. Since you are in Kentucky you've probably gone to bed long ago.
Good morning,
Looking at the manual for the inverter, the fault is caused by the following:
The error is a AC backfeed (external AC power detected at inverter wiring output). The solution is to disconnect incoming AC power and correct AC backfeed issue.
What this means is that you have a wiring problem or a transfer switch that has gone bad.
Do you have a generator and, if so, was it running prior to this problem?
The fridge needs 12 volts for the controls and 120 a/c for the heater in electric mode. You can put and external charger on the house batterie and run an extension cord to the a/c plug to keep the fridge running until we resolve the issue. Do you have a meter or an a/c tester?
Let me know on the generator and we will start digging in.
Thank you,
Ronnie
We have 2 problems:
1. Batteries are probably bad and will be replaced, not today, because it's Sunday, and voltage has dropped to 5 + volts.
2. Slides are out and need to come in.
Symptom: 50 volt shore power will not transfer to coach. 12 volt driving system OK.
Generator will not operate (it's on house battery) and was used yesterday only after problem started and 30/50 volt not transferring.
Need: enough power to bring in the slides. Maybe jump house batteries with tow car batteries. or Shore power to coach. Inverter is completely off.
The complete systems relies heavily on the house battery system. You may be able to start the coach and run the slides in. This should combine the two battery systems and allow the coach batteries to power the slides. You may need to switch the disconnect switch to emergency start to accomplish this depending on how your system is set up. This may also allow you to start the generator to see if the a/c comes back. If it does, the a/c problem will be in your generator automatic transfer switch. If it does not, the problem will be with the transfer switch in the inverter.
The house batteries rely on the inverter for charging and inverter control board functions which activate the a/c transfer as well. It is kind of a catch 22 system as everything needs to work properly or nothing works.
You can use the tow car and some jumper cables and go battery to battery to get the slides in as well. The slide systems will have a manual crank system but it usually take 5 men and a mule to get them back in.
Low battery voltage from the house can basically cause the inverter to shut down completely which causes all kinds of other issues.
Keep me posted.
Thanks,
Ronnie
Before hearing from you I had already hooked up car battery to motorhome for slides, brought them in and hit the road.
Will replace house battery regardless.
Still curious about 30/50 amps pass thru or override, which will, of course, affect us tonight.
Currently driving 200 miles, house battery at 11.50 volts, probably won’t hold. Battery levels read low.
Probably house batteries aren’t holding charge. Charge lights are still RED.
Tonight’s plug-in will be interesting.
The inverter is holding as we drive.
We’ll get new batteries on Monday. We’ll keep you informed.
Ok,
The house batteries affect the transfer switch that is built in to the 458. The a/c shore power goes in to this unit and the inverter transfers the a/c through the inverter relays. If they are stuck in the "invert" position, a/c will not pass to the rest of the system. Some systems take shore power and generator power to a separate transfer switch that is automatically switched when the generator is started up. If this problem occured after the generator was turned off, then I would suspect the external transfer switch. The external switch will then either go directly to the inverter with the entire load or go to a separate a/c distribution panel where a branch circuit only goes to the inverter and the inverter circuits are transfered back and forth to the invert and shore power mode.
Since this is a 50 amp service with two legs of 120, I would say that your external transfer has issues AND your house battery is bad which is creating another issue as well.
Thanks,
Ronnie
We are stopped and hooked up to 50 amps. It shows we have it, but not sure.
We are running 2 - 20 amp extension cords thru a window.
We'll be getting batteries tomorrow and we'll let you know what happens.
Thanks so far, Ronnie
No problem. Hopefully the house batteries will solve the issue. Good voltage should let the inverter function and allow the unit to transfer the a/c side back to normal.
Let me know how it turns out.
Thanks,
Ronnie