RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2008 Monaco: coach..Ive had the dealer lube front end..tighten…

Customer Question
I have a new 2008...
I have a new 2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ that now has 4500 miles on it. This coach wanders and doesn't like to stay put. I've had the dealer lube front end, realign vehicle, tighten steering box etc. What I still have is a coach with "tight" steering and road wander. email address [email protected]
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
11/27/2009
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer....

A few other things I would look at that you did not mention. The first is the tire pressures, make sure they are set per the tire tag sticker located under the driver's side toll window. Next make sure the hydraulic fluid reservoir is at the proper level, should have a cold and hot mark on the stick. Next I would check the ride height, you want to make sure that the bag height is not off more then 3/16" from side to side. If the unit was aligned that should eliminate other possible causes for wander. Make sure the vehicle is not overloaded or unevenly loaded. Also I would verify that wheel nuts are torqued correctly. I did check for any recalls and did not see any for this issue. Hope this helps...

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

I have checked the tire air pressure as I am a tire dealer. I checked the hydraulic fluid reservoir and it is up to the proper level. I have not checked the ride height though. That seems easy to do at home with a tape measure. I don't think we are overloaded. We have been campers for a long time and try to evenly distribute everything. The unit has air bags as you mentioned and the sensation is the vehicle "floats" and constant steering wheel correction is necessary to stay in the middle of the travel lane. It gets tiring after a while.

I would start with the ride height, IF it is way off from side to side you will have to contact Monaco to get the correct measurements. Checking side to side will let you know if there is a problem. Normally I start the coach, let the air dryer pop off, block the wheels to prevent the coach from rolling and release the parking brake. Make sure this is done on a very level surface. Also the steering knuckle should be inspected make sure the shaft is not rubbing, I use to install the shafts at Monaco years ago. I do believe there may be a grease fitting on the inside behind the a line cover around the steering shaft.

Thanks, Robert.