RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2007 Montana: the water was running out under the camper..flooded…

Customer Question
Hello, We have a 2007 Montana...

We have a 2007 Montana 5th wheel camper that a faucet was left on for 2 weeks with the gray water valve shut and when we came back the water was running out under the camper.   The water came up on the walls about 2inches, carpet was soaked, bathroom flooded and the underneath storage was soaked and water standing. What do you suggest about fixing all the damage. Walls are beginning to expland where the water came up on them and the bath floorcovering is beginning to roll up. The carpet is molding and is very smelly. Flooring is still wet after a week and using a wet vac. We've aired it out and also had the heat on to try and dry it. We have a insurance adjuster coming tomorrow and by talking to him on the phone he has no clue as how to fix it. I also would like to know if it would be considered totaled? Andy help you can give us would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Linda
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: RV
9/24/2009
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 12 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer....

Sorry you had to encounter something like this.... Hard to say if the unit is totaled but the labor for the repair will be extensive. The carpet and floor will not be so bad again it is allot of labor. I would rent a large de-humidifier. This will pull all the moisture that is in the unit, we used this at the shop and they do very well. They plug in and draw water into a pan that you dump out. It might take a day or two.... Next I would pull the carpet. It probably needs to be replaced if it smells bad. Check the floor, if it is just stained you can use a product called kilz to treat the floor, this will get rid of the mildew and protect the floor, generally if you take a screwdriver and poke the floor and it does not go through it is OK.... The walls will be a challenge, only issue will be matching up the decorative design. The walls are a thin sheet that are wall board and they can be replaced. Some use wall paper also....I think the best approach is to get it to a shop that can work with the insurance company, done let the adjuster talk you out of anything. I would say for the interior work you might be looking at around 40 hours of labor worse case scenario pending any other damages.... Hope this helps if you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic