RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2001 Prowler: flooded due to a water line coming loose..warped…

Recently, the 27 2001 Prowler...
Recently, the 27 2001 Prowler I have got flooded due to a water line coming loose. I dried the trailer out the best I could but the floors became warped. Without insurance, I found myself repair the trailer. I found the water became trapped and had soaked the top underlayment and the bottom uderlayment which was on each side of the foam insulation. I removed, Including the interior, but found the aluminium runner bowed upwards. Before putting down the new floor, what do I do regarding the bow upwards of the runners. How do I get that out, or do I need to be worried about this bow upwards. Will they correct themsleves when I install the new foam and underlayment and subfloor...I am going to have to also replace the kitchen cabinet and 6'6" storage cabinet by the bed...are they still available or will I need to make them myself? Thanks for your help and advise.
8/26/2009
RV Mechanic: D. Wood, RV Parts Store Owner replied 13 years ago
D. Wood
D. Wood, RV Parts Store Owner

Hi claimsman, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have answers for you.

Regarding the upwards bow you mention. The chassis is manufactured with a negative camber, and as the trailer is built the weight of the floor, walls and interior furnishings causes the chassis to straighten out. When the load is removed, such as stripping the interior, the reduction in weight allows the negative camber to reveal itself again. As you rebuild and reinstall the interior it will go back the way it was. So you don't need to do anything about the runners unless they were damaged as a result of pulling up the floor. I doubt they're damaged, otherwise you would have said so.

Regarding the cabinets, they were manufactured at the Fleetwood plant when the trailer was built. The RV manufacturers have an in house cabinet shop that makes the cabinets for each model they produce, so no, cabinets are not going to be available. But that actually will allow you to customize the cabinets to your own liking.

If you have any follow ups to this question simply ask. I want to be certain your question has been answered fully and to your satisfaction.

Thank you for using Justanswer.com and allowing me to assist you.

Sincerely,

Dale W.

Any thing else I need to know before putting it back together...Thanks,CustomerPS also, I noticed the slide out unit doesn't have any adjustments to raise or lower the upper or lower ends to properly seal. Am I missing something?

The only thing that comes to mind would be to fasten the floor starting at one end and working towards the other end. That's probably what you plan on doing, but since you asked...Wink

The adjustments will be there...In 2001 Fleetwood used both Power Gear and Lippert slide outs. If you can tell me whether the slide system operates hydraulically or electrically I can get the information to you. It's a single slide, sofa and dinette. Is that correct?

Thank you for asking,

Dale W.

It is not electrical, it is manual with a lever that clicks it into place once you push it out. It is on two rollers and bar. It is only for a six-foot sofa, this is a 27-ft trailer. I went to the locally dealer and looked at their units with slide outs which were manual and they had a screw type adjustment like a screw jack...This one did not. Thanks, Claimsman. Also is the any recommended replacement sub-floor material you prefer. This one had a 1/4" laminated ply board on both the top side and bottom side of the styrofoam insulation. This made a total width of one and three quarter inches. It might be better to go back with 1/4" on bottom and 1/2" on top side for subfloor. What is your thoughts.

O.K., claimsman, off the top of my head, there should be some rollers attached to the outside of the chassis underneath the floor of the room. If I'm correct in this, the are adjustable up or down. That will change the angle of the room when it seals.

I also recall a version of that same slide out that had adjustment for the rollers on the bar itself, but I don't think that applies here.

My personal preference is OSB, Oriented Strand Board. It has good strength and is less prone to moisture damage. It's available in thicknesses starting at 1/2", at least that I have found. There might be 3/8" thickness available, but I haven't seen it. You want to be sure that the 1/8" greater thickness will not interfere with anything else such as cabinets, door entry, etc.

Dale W.

D. Wood
D. Wood, RV Parts Store Owner
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX been of great assistance. I did notice they glued the top and the lower sub and underlayment boards to the foam, should I do the same. It sure makes it hard to clean up the styro-foam or re-use. I'm sure before I finish this project you will hear from me again. Have a great day. Warmest Regards,Customer

Yes, it does make it difficult to re-use the foam. If necessary, although I don't want to spend your money for you, consider the foam insulation sold in home centers such as Lowes or Home Depot. The foam serves three purposes here. The first is weight reduction. That's the most critical. The second and third are heat and noise insulation. The foam absorbs much of the sound of walking on the floor.

Thanks for the kind words. I've enjoyed helping.

Sincerely,

Dale W.