RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

gas water heater on my motor home lit and burned for about 30 seconds…

The gas water heater on...
The gas water heater on my motorhome lit and burned for about 30 seconds and then went out. It did this twice, and now it will not light. Of course I am scheduled to leave in two days and no one can look at it until next week. Any suggestions?
7/30/2009
RV Mechanic: RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC replied 13 years ago
RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC
HICustomer

WHAT MAKE AND MODEL WATER HEATER DO YOU HAVE? IS THE WATER HEATER TOTALLY FULL OF WATER? WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU. YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY. THANK YOU FOR USING JUST ANSWER.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
I am at my office so I do not currently have the make and model of the waterheater. It is full of water.
HICustomer

I'LL TALK TO YOU WHEN YOU GET HOME.

TAKE CARE,

RIP ROBERT

Rip,

The water heater is an Atwood, Model G6A-8E, serial # XXXXX then it has a "Spec" # XXXXX It is a 6.2gallon heater

Steve

HI STEVE;

I WANT YOU TO REMOVE THE BURNER TUBE AND THE ORFICE FROM THE GAS VALVE, CLEAN REALLY WELL, AND THE IGNITOR PROP. MAKE SURE THE CHIMNEY IS CLEAN AS WELL. CAREFULLY REINSTALL EVERYTHING, THEN TURN THE SWITCH ON FOR THE WATER HEATER, IT SHOULD LIGHT AND STAY LITE. WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU WHAT HAPPENS. YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC

Rip,

I am back at my office so I cannot look at the heater to tell, but does the burner tube simply come out after you remove the burner itself?

HI STEVE;

THERE IS ONE SCREW HOLD THE BURNER TUBE TO THE CHIMNEY, AND THE ORFICE JUST SIMPLE UNSCREWS FROM THE GAS VALVE.

TAKE CARE,

RIP ROBERT

Rip,

The water heater lit right up and worked great. It didn't really seem to be that dirty but once I took it apart and blew it out with the air compressor, it started right up.

Thank you!

Steve