RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1999 Fleetwood: Southwind..rear Air..all 110 AC power stopped…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Fleetwood...
I have a 1999 Fleetwood Southwind 36T. On a recent outing, we had both front and rear Air units goings. When my wife started to used to microwave, all 110 AC power stopped. None of the appliances, microwave, air conditioners, receps, etc have power. I checked all the breakers under the fridge and the one in the storage compartment where the shore line is stored. I reset them several times and even replaced the 30 amp main breaker. Still no 110 AC power. All the 12 volt system is fine. Any ideas where to check now?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
7/28/2009
RV Mechanic: Jeff Myers, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Jeff Myers
Jeff Myers, RV Mechanic
Hello Rick, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try and help you troubleshoot your power issue.

1. First thing to check is the incoming power source. Check the outlet that the coach is plugged in to for 120VAC power. Make sure that the power is hot from the bottom ground lug to the upper left lug. And upper right (neutral) to upper left. There should be no power between the upper right and the bottom lugs (neutral and ground).

2. Next step is check power where is enters the coach. You should have switch mounted near where the shore power cord enters the unit, this is the Automatic Transfer Switch, it switches power from the generator to shore power. Remove the cover and make sure that you have power coming in from the shore power side of the switch and exiting on the Load side of the switch. If you do not, replace the Auto Transfer Switch.

3. If you have power incoming there, check the power at the 30 amp breaker of the breaker panel. I know you just replaced it but you did not mention whether it was tested for power or not. If you have power there, check each individual breaker for power. If these show ok, in the kitchen and the bathroom are GFCI breaker outlets.

4. Check GFCI outlets to make sure they are not tripped. If they are, reset them.

These steps should find the cause of your no AC power situation. If you do not have a voltmeter. Use a simple light bulb socket with two wires attached to the bottom. Can be purchased at lowe's or home depot. They socket already has the wires coming off the bottom, only need to purchase a light bulb. The white wire will be the negative and the black positive. Invaluable tool when checking 120VAC power.

Let me know what you find. If this solves your problem then please hit the accept button so that I can get credit for my support.

Thanks,

Jeff Myers
I have power to the shore line and to the breaker box. I pushed the reset several times on the GFCI receps and still have no power at any of the 120 AC receps.

Any other ideas? Seems to be somewhere between breaker box and receps. Anything else (another switch somewhere) that could be the problem?

Thanks
Rick Root
I loosened the GFCI recepin the bath area and checked voltage on wires there. There is 120 at both black wires. But, there is also 120 at both white wires!

I checked the common bar by the breakers and it also has 120 volts as well as the black wires on all the breakers.

Checked the shore line in the basement area and there is 120 only at the black.

I know just enough about electricity to make me dangerous. But if I remember correctly, the white common should be no voltage.

Thanks,

Rick Root
Rick,

The white will show voltage if you touch it and the black at the same time. If you are getting 120VAC on the neutral (white) while touching the ground, then we have a problem.

You have done a great job of troubleshooting so far. Since the wires in the basement seem to be fine, lets start at the breaker panel.

1. Remove the cover from the breaker panel and find the breaker that is labeled Recept? or Circuits? These should be the power feeds to the outlets in the coach. Turn them off and then recheck for 120VAC on the white wire coming into the box. If you have lost power on the white with these breakers off, the problem is in the unit somewhere, not the breaker panel.
2. Turn one or the other on and check for power again on the white, touching the other lead to ground (bare copper). Which ever one powers the white wire when turned on, that is the problem circuit.
3. If you have more than one receptacle or GFCI in the circuit, you will need to remove each one of them from the wall and make sure that there are no wires touching where they should not be. The receptacles that they used in the coaches often use a "push" in style wire receptacle. The wires, if too long or not stripped correctly, can eventually touch and cause the problem you are having. You may have to trace it down all the way to the very last receptacle in the circuit but you should find it no problem.

If you have any trouble then please let me know.

THanks, XXXXX
Jeff,

The 120v reading is when I touch the white common bar and the ground wire at the breaker box.

I turned all the breakers off except the main and turned the other breakers on one at a time. No matter which breaker was turned on, I had a 120v reading when checking the white and ground. The only way I didn't was when all breakers except the main were off.

I am wondering if the automatic line/generator switch could be bad. It is in an area that flooded winter before last after a water line broke. I had to replace the ECC last summer and it is in the same vacinity as the switch (behind the breaker box). I took the top off the switch box and didn't see any obvious rust or corrosion on connections.

I checked both GFCI receps - no wires touching and wires seemed okay.

Any further ideas or tests recommended would be appreciated.

Thanks for the persistence,
Rick Root

Rick, you will need to trace the power on the white wire to were it stops. If you have no power on the white junction box, then check where it comes into the unit. It could be something as simple as the plug end on your shore power cord. If your meter has Ohm reading or resistance reading capabilities, then disconnect the shore power from the automatic line/gen. switch and ohm out the incoming black and white wires, if there is resistance or any reading, then you will need to replace the power cord or cord end. If this is ok, check the switch leads from the white to the black. If this is bad, then go to the main breaker panel and remove the main incoming black wire from the main incoming breaker and then test again. The main thing that needs to be done is the short needs to be isolated. It may take you awhile to find the problem and it is an extensive troubleshooting procedure but with persistence and perserverance, you can find the problem. If you get stuck then let me know and I will try and push you through the problem.

Let me know what you find,

Jeff

Jeff Myers
Jeff Myers, RV Mechanic