RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I am having trouble with my electrical system..full charge…

Customer Question
I am having trouble with...
I am having trouble with my electrical system. The battery has gone dead the last two times after 24 hour charges after less than 24 hours with only the co2 and propane detectors operating. Yhe battery seems to take a full charge and a local auto service place said the battery was good.

When a plug in the 120 to the camper the 120 outlets show s 121 volts even whil;e the battery is in the 2s. If I start the vehicle the 12v system seems to work.

It seems the 120 works and the truck is charging the battery so is it right to conclude the battery is gone even when the mechanic said it was ok.
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
7/17/2009
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

The auto parts store should have load tested the battery, this will no doubt tell you if the battery is bad or not. IF the battery is good then you need to see if it is charging when you plug into shore power. Your unit should have a converter, it serves two functions takes the incoming AC voltage and makes DC voltage for your water pump, lights etc... It also should be charging the battery. When you plug in the battery voltage should rise to around 14.2 volts then slowly taper off to around 13 volts. First make sure the battery cables are clean and free of corrosion, make sure the main negative cable is in good condition. Next plug the unit in and observe the battery voltage, it should rise. IF not you will need to find the converter and check for any blown fuses.

The other issue could be a draw on the battery but this would occur when you were unplugged and the battery was draining down. Ask and make sure the Load Tested the battery.. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

They ran the battery through a battery testing apperatus. I had just charged it for 24 hours and the reading showed it was at 94% of capacity. I put it in the camper and overnight it went dead. I started the truck and the battery powered up enough to run the fan, etc. It seems the seperator from the truck to the camper is working and the 120 is coming through on shore power but the battery was exhausted when I plugged it in and read very low voltage.

OK

I must ask this to make sure we are talking about the correct battery are you referring to the Chassis battery or the RV house battery? IF it is the house battery what shore power source are you plugging into (15, 30 amp etc..)?

Thanks, Robert

the rv house batt. I am plugging into my garage outlet with an extension cord.

Are you plugging into a standard 110 outlet and how long is the cord?

Thanks, Robert

110 outlet and cord is 20ft or so

OK

I would really try if you can to plug into a 15 amp or 30 amp service to see if the battery will charge. When you plug into the outlet the Converter should be charging that battery. IF not the converter is having a problem OR the power source is not sufficient enough to power and run the converter. At this point I would find the converter and make sure no fuses are blown, normally the converter is inside and sometimes located near a fuse panel. what also could happen is with a very long extension cord you can have line loss and start to lose power to the appliances,this is why I suggest plugging into a 15 or 30 amp service. The AC voltage is separate from the DC voltage and the converter is responsible for making the 12 volts and charging the battery. When you unplug you are just running off battery power only... Hope that makes some sense IF you still have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Thanks, Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic