RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

my atwood 6 gallon water heater in my 98 southwind motor home heats…

My Atwood 6 gallon water...
My Atwood 6 gallon water heater in my '98 Southwind motorhome heats up and supplys hot water to the kitchen faucet with no problem but does not supply water to the bathroom faucet or shower. The cold water side works fine- just not the hot water side. I have opened the valve underneath the sink (standby ?) (where it saves on anti freeze) to the normal operating position.
The tank is hot but can't get hot water to the bathroom.

Any ideas?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/6/2009
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
If the unit was winterized by blowing compressed air through the lines,there is a good chance the sediment from the water heater got in the lines.I would pull the faucet stems and check for blockage at bathroom and shower faucets.Check this first.

Not sure about blowing air thru it as I just bought it 2 weeks ago. I do get hot water at the kitchen faucet.

I understand that there are a couple of check valves that deteriorate over time and come apart somewhere in the hot water lines.

The check valve usually affects all the faucets,pull the stems and check for blockage in faucets.Start here first.

I'll do that first thing tomorrow. May I leave this question open (I haven't used this service before) and come back to it tomorrow?

Thanks

Yes Sir,talk to you tomorrow

Checked the faucet lines and removed the ck. valve I was able to get to. Nothing in either one. No sediment. I took out the faucet stems as suggested and they were clean.

I unhooked the line from the hot water tank to the bypass valve assembly and water ran out of it. but once I turned the pump on it stopped??

Remove valve,hook line direct to water heater,if you have water pressure, replace the valve.
i'll try it
Let me know

I bypassed the valve and have water coming out of the line. When I hooked it up to the line to the faucet nothing came thru. I unhooked it at the faucet and by the valve and shot air thru it from my compressor. Air came out. I hooked it up at the valve but left it undone at the faucet and water shot out. As soon as I hook up the faucet I get nothing.

Must be the faucet although it was clean?

Has to be something in faucet,Go to home depot or lowes if one in your area,faucets are better quality .
gene
gene, RV Mechanic