RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

dometic refer..cooling..have checked the flame ,gasket flu..whats…

Customer Question
I have a dometic refer...
I have a dometic refer in my lance camper model 3663, it is not cooling below 45 in the bottom ice box but the freezer is working great. have checked the flame ,gasket flu and it's all good , had the board replaced a few years agao and it worked good until the last two times out. Always keep the camper level so whats up how do I fix it?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
6/30/2009
RV Mechanic: technotony, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
technotony
technotony, RV Mechanic

Hi, my name isXXXXX like you have a good understanding of your unit, which is good, great even. You may have a bad board, I know you just changed it but it still could be bad. First check the thermocouple in the refrigerator section, it is attached to the fins, make sire it is touching the fins. As you know these refrigerators work better on AC then on gas so if you can try it on AC that may tell something as well.

Now you board can be tested to see if it is good before just putting in a new one but you will need to call around and find an RV repair shop with the equipment to do it. Here is a little trick you can try, go to the back of the refrigerator and take the cover off the main board and remove the wire to the thermocouple, this will cause the refrigerator to run wide open. See if that makes a difference. If it dos you may just have a bad thermocouple.

Two more things, you may already know but the refrigerant in the unit is ammonia and it is colored yellow, look around in the back and make sure you don't see any yellow powder, if you do the refrigerant may be leaking. Second, if it is real hot out where you are you can put a little 8 inch clip type fan under the coils pointing up forcing the air to push up through the condensing coils, this often helps if you are in a real hot area.

Thank you for using Just Answer and me, Tony C. if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. If you are happy with my efforts please hit accept, hitting accept is the only way we get paid.

Thanks again

Tony

technotony
technotony, RV Mechanic

there is no yellow powder anywhere, the thermalcouple inside the refer is held away from the find via a plastic holder installed by dometic,the fins by the way are dripping water. it is on a/c now. I was told ther was most likely a clog in the cooling unit coils.

have a refer fan already pulling from the roof vent. it's only 100 deg here and it has kept very cold in hotter weather.However I will disconecting the thermocoupler and see if running wide open helps.. however why are the fins inside dripping

They are dripping because they are not cold enough to freeze the condensate, but they are cold enough to pull the moisture out of the air and make condensate. If it is the original 1996 you may very well have a clog or more likely it is low on refrigerant, but you know that is not good new because it means replacing the cooling unit and that is not cheap. Are the coils in the back hot? They should be, I am sure they are as your freezer section is cold. The refrigerant runs into the freezer unit first and then into the refrigerator section, if you coolant condenses and gets warm before it get to the refrigerator sections you will not get any cooling.

tc

yea they are hot not overly so but hot. it will cool to 40 then not keep up after its opened.

it is in real good condt don't think it has been over used.

Is there any way to check for clogs

No not really. The cooling unit is not serviceable. It is a remove and replace part. Clogs are not common; I find it to be something people say. I have heard of people taking the refrigerator out and turning it upside down for a day and then putting it back in and that works. I don't rally believe it that myself.

If it looks good and is in nice condition it is worth putting a new cooling unit on it. There are a lot of good places on the internet to get them. I think a double door top freezer is about $475.00 or so. Not cheap but better then getting a new refrigerator.

I will try the thermocoupler first, however I thought the thermocoupler just kept the flame on? It never went off over the weekend. its on elec now. it did this once before and after it sat for a week or so worked fine until this time
Tony I unpluged the therocoupler and now the fins in the refer are colder and there is more heat on the flu. does that mean the coupler is bad?

Possible, leave it off for some time and see if you refrigerator section gets down to almost freezing. If it dos then reconnect the thermocouple and see if it gets worm again. If it dos then the thermocouple is probably bad. They are cheap compared to other items that can go bad. Glad to hear it is getting colder.

Tony, the unit was 35 inside this morning and had frozen water drops on the fins. does this mean it is the thermistor probe? remember I unpluged it as you said.

It is hard to say and I want to be honest with you. I think you should plug it back in and se if it starts worming up like it was before, if it starts going back to the way it was then I would think the thermistor is bad and could be replaced. It is the cheaper thing to do but you need to know it you do change it you still may have the same problem. What this is telling you is your refrigerator is capable of cooling properly, it is not telling you it is the thermisto for sure. You sill may end up changing the board as well. At least you know the refrigerator is capable of cooling now.

tc