RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Motor home..Dometic..only work..hundreds of miles from a repair shop…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 motorhome...
I have a 2008 motorhome with a Dometic DM2852 refrigerator and it will only work with the gas on even though it is plugged into shore power. We live hundreds of miles from a repair shop. Is there a way to reset the refrigerator? Thank you for your help!
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
6/25/2009
RV Mechanic: Nick, RVIA Certification replied 13 years ago
Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification
hi..

there is no real way to reset a dometic, other than unplugging the 12v power source to it, which will reset a stuck relay etc, but probably wont solve your problem..
if you have no AC heating on it, then this could be due to a couple reasons..
1, your GFI in the bathroom or in an outside compartment, has tripped, since the fridge is protected by the gfi circuit.
2, the fuse on the control board has blown.. you will need to remove the black cover over it on the back of the fridge and check the glass fuse on the board..
3, your heating element is bad. it is still fairly new and shouldnt be bad, but not unheard of..
testing this is a little difficult without access to ohm meter or amp meter. one way that does work is to make up a cord using an old applance and cutting off the power cord.. then attaching spade connectors to the cord so you can plug your heating element straight into the outlet back there.. hot wire it... this will bypass the board and tell you if the element is bad or not...
i would check for any tripped GFCI outlets first and breakers and then inspect that fuse on the board..
if you check that and let me know, we can go from there
do you know if the microwave and the refrigerator are on the same circuit.
We have checked the only GFCI we could see, which was in the bathroom. We also checked the breakers and fuses. We have determined that there is not power to the outlet. Is there another GFCI that we cannot see? Thanks.
sorry for the slow reply... i work during the day so only now seeing the reply...
no the microwave will be on its own dedicated circuit usually... often you have a gfi in a basement somewhere... if you give me your model, i can pull the schematic and see if it shows exactly where...
fleetwood fiesta what?
Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification