Scott K
Scott K, RV Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Ford motorhome gas engine experience
9480930

I have a 1983 Itasca class c motor home on a chevy van with

I have a 1983 Itasca class c motor home on a chevy van with a 350 carbureated motor and believe i'm having fuel delivery problems as i cannot accelerate but will run at speed. Where is the fuel pump/fuel filter in this era for chevy normally located.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

It sounds like you are on the right track, I would look at the fuel filter first. On your year model chevy typically used a mechanical pump on the front right lower engine, that was driven by the camshaft. The fuel filter was typically located at the carburetor inlet connection. Being a motor home it is possible that the location could be different.

Fuel pumpgraphic

Fuel Filter

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Scott,

So normally there would not be a suction filter between the tank and the mechanical fuel pump?

Usally there is not, but one could have been added, there is a Fuel Sock or strainer on the pickup tube inside the fuel tank. The small filter at the carb inlet is a common restriction point. But I have seen the strainer clogged in the tank as well, Another thing to check is fuel quality, motor homes typically sit for extended periods and the fuel spoils.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Scott - i'll take a look tonight-thanks for the pictures.

Thanks and let me know if I can help you more on this

Scott K