RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

dometic..lite..cool..It first kicks on on gas and than goes to ac…

Customer Question
I have a Dometic refrigerator...
I have a Dometic refrigerator. What it does is it will come on the check lite will stay on and it will cool any where from 3 hrs to 14 hrs and than shut off. It first kicks on on gas and than goes to ac as the elec is always plugged in. I just bought the trailer a month ago and last weekend was the first I had a chance to work on it. When it cools is cools great but it just does not stay on.
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
6/15/2009
RV Mechanic: Nick, RVIA Certification replied 13 years ago
Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification
what is your model number of the fridge...
and have you tried running it on LP only, see if it does the same thing?
RM 2807
Product#92159301
ok.. well couple things spring to mind, that could cause this..
first is a bad thermistor.... the thermistor is what the control board uses to know when it at temperature.. if this is giving false readings, it may be shutting down prematurely..
really, to test this, you need an ohm meter... if you have one.. then you can unplug it from the board and check the resistance.... first warm and then with it in ice...
second issue could be a bad control board.. its hard to test these since they are just printed circuit boards....
i dont think the problem is in the element or gas valve, since if on auto, if on fails, it should switch to the other...
my first check would be your thermistor...sounds like it is starting to fail....
if you have an ohm meter, unplug the thermistor from the control board on the rear of the fridge, left side behind the black plastic cover.. should be a small white connector going to it, with 2 small wires... unplug this and then put the thermistor in a glass of ice water... it is attached to the fins in the fridge, just pull the white slider off and it is inside that.. place it in the water and leave it in there for a few minutes and then the resistance should be about 7-10kohms.
before you put it in the water, do a check on the reistance with it warm.... if your getting 7-10kohms with it warm, then it is bad and will need replacing...

if that checks out... you can bypass the board and eliminate that by making a hot wire... basically taking a 110v cord from an old appliance... attached spade connectors to it and plugging your heating element straight into the outlet at the back of the fridge. this will make your element stay on constant and wont be controlled by the board.. if it seems to ork fine then, then we know the fault is in the control system and we will have to diagnose further.. but test the thermistor first.

also, i dont know your experience, so sorry if i am stating obvious... but, make sure the rv is level, must be level for it to work correctly, since they are not compressor driven, they rely on gravity..
also make sure your top roof vent is free from debris and so forth.. ventilation is key on these...
try switching it to lp and running it... see if it lights and stays on longer.....
let me know what you find and we can go from there

Thankyou for your question.. please remember this is the answer page and to click accept if you are satisfied with my answer so i get paid for my efforts.. Please also note, accepting my answer does not terminate our correspondance, you may continue to reply after accepting and i will work with you until the problem is solved.
thankyou and please let me know if you require further assistance.....

:Nick:

Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification
One thing I forgot to tell you was that when it shuts down it shuts down by that I mean there are no lights on the control board the interior light does not even come on if this is any help to you. I will not be back to the camper until next weekend to check to see if vent is clear.
ahhh... well thats not a thermistor problem... if thermistor was bad, it would just turn off the heating side.. if your entire fridge is shutting down... then that points to a bad control board...
i would maybe let it run, and then when it shuts down, check your 12v terminal block by the control board, verify it is getting 12v still. if it is, and the board is dead... then probably going to need to change the board or the upper board, really you will need a shop to check these... since there really is no self test other than replacing..

one other thing is, have you had the dometic recall done? im not sure without looking it up if yours if under the recall or not.. but have you had the recall done? it may have been done before you got it.. you can tell by removing the outside cover and looking at the burner area.. it will have a metal sheet hiding it all... it may not have the sheet but you may find there is a thermal cut off switch attached to the burner tube... be a small round device rivteted to the metal with 2 wires going to it... check to see if you have that.. it may be bad.. if so, that will shut down power to the board, its a safety feature to prevent fire and so forth...
check to see if you have this... as i said, it will be on right hand side, attached to the round burner flu... if you have one... you can try unplugging it and bypassing it with a short jumper wire... then see if it will stay running.. or you can use a test light and check for voltage comming out of it.. it probbaly will have 12v until it shuts down.. but if you let it shut down like it does and then check, if you dont have 12v from it then, replace this.. any rv dealership will have there, cheap.. i have about 10 in my toolbox. you may also want to check about the recall and if yours is part of it.. if it doesnt have the piece of metal covering all the burner up...