We have an ammonia leak and food still in place from 4 months ago. We assumed the ammonia smell would leave so we could

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: we have an ammonia leak and food still in place from 4 months ago. We assumed the ammonia smell would leave so we could remove food and frige safely. We believe the ammonia is still present because when the door was opened yesterday to unscrew the fridge from the frame, the noxious smell poured out (food and ammonia). Now what? Do we need a commercial respirator? Can we safely cover our noses with wet towels?

Is it safe enough to allow some ammonia to escape if we can cope with it? Will the ammonia dissipate if we open all windows and vents and turn on the fans/air conditioner? Will any human or pets be harmed in our doityourself repair plan?

We have a guest in the rv who is away until Wed, so we really want to get this thing out of there....Can we do this without professional help? We are concerned that the ammonia puts a person at risk during removal--but if we need to do this ourselves due to cost factors. WE have a replacement on its way, and need to remove/open door.
Answered by Robert in 16 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Robert
12+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Auto Body Technician, Heavy Equipment Repairs, Heavy Duty Engine Repairs, Brake and Transmission Repairs

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer..

Sounds like a failed cooling unit. I would isolate the power from the fridge and air out the unit , open your fans and windows and use a portable fan to air the unit out. IF the unit has been leaking for 4 months it should have leaked all out and the smell is staying behind. I would stay clear of the area until the smell dissipates. The smell might linger even after it is aired out but you should be able to tell a big difference after all the windows and fans are going... IF you need to go in there and open the windows and fans and get the door open a wet rag will help, water is a pretty good filter but will not last long so make quick trips in and out... IF you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!!

Customer
We are going to try this tonight, and if we have anymore questions we will get back to you tomorrow. Would we be able to keep this dialogue going without further compensation? This is a nonprofit org and it surely would help.

OK

Yes you can click accept anytime and I will still be happy to work with you on this problem. I should be around most of the day tomorrow...

Thanks, Robert

Customer
Robert, Thanks for your help. Because folks backed away from the odors coming from the fridge which we assumed wad still the ammonia-- you gave us the courage to open windows, set up a fan and dive in rubber gloves, trash bag, and bleach in hand...Other than rotted food and a gazillion mini-flies which became highly agitated at the POWER OF RAID, thanks to your answer, this long time problem was solved in 20 minutes. Who knew?

Now--if only the fridge we ordered 4 weeks ago to replace this one would just arrive....

No Problem...

I was wondering how you guys made out. Sometimes the rotted food could smell as bad as the ammonia...It will almost knock you over.... I am glad things went well and thanks for letting me know....

Thank You, Robert

Customer
Happy consumers now--thanks to you. Paying the fee was worth the cost. Glad we discovered this online service last night. You gave us the confidence to proceed. Tonight we will see if the fridge is too deep to get out the door....In that case, we need no further advice. We have a sledge hammer and we are not afraid to use it!
Customer
I am trying to locate an ACCEPT link to release payment. Cannot locate. Please resend so we can release funds if not already done.

You are good I got payment last night....

If you have problems getting that fridge out let me know sometimes you have to remove the cab chair or other drastic measures have to be done, hopefully it will go right out..

Thanks, Robert

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Robert
logo
logo
logo
12+ years of experience
imglogo
Robert
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.