RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Flagstaff 205 trailer last summer--no problems at all..winter…

Customer Question
Used my Flagstaff 205 trailer...
Used my Flagstaff 205 trailer last summer--no problems at all. Put it away for the winter and opened it up and none of the indoor lights or overhead fan work even while plugged into 110v outlet! What gives??
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
5/31/2009
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

The first thing to do is verify the post you are using has power, next look in the trailer and on the outside for a tripped GFI. The converter is responsible for charging your batteries when plugged in, ideally you want to be plugged into a 15 or 30 amp service but if everything was shut down the converter still should have been able to slowly charge the battery. The converter serves two functions, take the AC voltage and make DC voltage and to charge the batteries. The converter can be wired directly to the breaker box or will plug into an outlet, this is why it is important to check for any tripped GFIS, they will have a test and reset button located on them. Next I would find the converter and make sure no fuses are blow on that, check your main breaker panel and look for any tripped breakers. IF you have a an on board generator it could be a transfer switch issue if the power works when it is running. IF the converter is getting AC voltage it should be working and might be faulty. I would also try to plug into a 30 amp service to see if that corrects the issue. When you use a 110 volt outlet and use a long extension cord you can have what is called line loss.... I hope this helps, if you have any other questions or comments please feel free to contact me..

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
I checked power source--its hot. The water pump works. GFI not tripped, main breaker not tripped, fuses not blown. No extension cord used. This power source has worked in the past. Do I need to take this in??

OK

It sounds like you are getting some 12 volt power since the water pump is working. Make sure your house disconnect switch is on, when you hit the switch you should hear the solenoid clicking. This switch is normally near the entry step or door. If you are getting some 12 volt power (such as the water pump) and all the fuses are good it is possible that small rodents got in the unit and created a problem, look for any chewed wires and something like this I would take it in.. Also verify your 12 volt battery voltage, sounds like it is good if the water pump is working.

Thanks, Robert