RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2003 Fleetwood: RV..Our converter went..air conditioner

Customer Question
We have a 2003 Fleetwood...
We have a 2003 Fleetwood Pride RV Our converter went out during a storm. Where is the best place to buy one? We are running our air conditioner by battery but our refrig won't work. Will the converter make a difference or will we need a new refrig
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
5/8/2009
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

I have allot of questions, so I hope you do not mind.... First during this storm you said your converter went out, what did you check to come to this point? Also are you plugged into shore power running the roof AC?

Thanks, Robert

When we got to the trailer..no power, batteries were dead, refrig had been off for quite a while. RV park owner checked the converter said it was not working

I don't know what shore power is

I would like you to verify some things if that is OK, First go around to every GFI in and out of the RV and make sure that none are tripped. The fridge may have have on that it is plugged into under the cover on the outside. The converter will take the Incoming AC voltage and make 12 volts for all the lights control boards such as the Roof AC and fridge. The converter should be protected by a fuse or breaker so I would verify also that there are no blown fuses on the converter. When you plug the shore cord in and the converter is working it will also charge the house battery. When you unplug the power cord the batteries should only run on battery power. I want to make sure nothing was overlooked. IF the roof AC has enough 12 volts to run the control board the fridge should be coming on....

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!!!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic