RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

NorCold..I have checked the fuses..works normally..AC

Customer Question
I have a NorCold N821...
I have a NorCold N821. I have checked the fuses and verified 120VAC and 12 DC power. The control panel works normally on LP, AC and auto modes. No alarm codes. However, the unit does not get cold (not even close to cold).
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
5/5/2009
RV Mechanic: R & K RV, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Is the boiler tube getting hot? If the unit is level (a must) and the unit is getting heat from a flame or the electric heating element, then there is a problem with the cooling unit. If the controls are working properly, the unit should be calling for heat constantly until the interior thermostat is satisfied. I have seen thermistor issues with these units that cycle the heat on and off and never lets it get to its set temperature .
Let me know about the heat issue and we can take it from there.
Also, I can check to see if a recall has been issued if you can send me the complete model and serial from the door tag. Some models of the N821's were involved.
Thanks for the question,
Ronnie
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic
In the LP mode the buner lit off and burned continueously. No sound of moving parts. No cold in the box. Can you give me an idea how the unit works? Also, in an attempt to check the fuses on the circuit board I attempted to diconect the flame detect wire from the board. The spade was stuck on pretty good and in the process I pulled an element out of the device the wire in connected to. As a result the flame detect circuit no longer works. Is it easy to replace the flame detect device or do I buy a new board?
It is very old but effective technology. These refrigerators are interesting because they have no moving parts and use heat, in the form of burning propane or electric elements to produce the cold inside the refrigerator.

A gas refrigerator uses ammonia as the coolant, and it uses water ammonia and hydrogen gas to create a continuous cycle for the ammonia. The refrigerator has five main parts:

• Generator - generates ammonia gas
  • Separator - separates ammonia gas from water
  • Condenser - where hot ammonia gas is cooled and condensed to create liquid ammonia
  • Evaporator - where liquid ammonia evaporates to create cold temperatures inside the refrigerator
  • Absorber - absorbs the ammonia gas in water
The cycle works like this:
  1. Heat is applied to the generator. The heat comes from burning propane or electric heating element.
  2. In the generator is a solution of ammonia and water. The heat raises the temperature of the solution to the boiling point of the ammonia.
  3. The boiling solution flows to the separator. In the separator, the water separates from the ammonia gas.
  4. The ammonia gas flows upward to the condenser. The condenser is composed of metal coils and fins that allow the ammonia gas to dissipate its heat and condense into a liquid.
  5. The liquid ammonia makes its way to the evaporator, where it mixes with hydrogen gas and evaporates, producing cold temperatures inside the refrigerator.
  6. The ammonia and hydrogen gases flow to the absorber. Here, the water that has collected in the separator is mixed with the ammonia and hydrogen gases.
  7. The ammonia forms a solution with the water and releases the hydrogen gas, which flows back to the evaporator. The ammonia-and-water solution flows toward the generator to repeat the cycle.
You are not actually cooling, you are removing the heat from the inside of the cabinet.
It is a very neat process similar to your A/C unit. The difference is the refrigerant used and the means of vaporizing.

Did you pull the sensing rod out of the ceramic insulator or something off of the board end? I can't visualize exactly which part is pulled of.
Thanks,
Ronnie