RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The invertor does not seem to be charging..air works

Customer Question
I have a freedom 2000...
I have a freedom 2000. the invertor does not seem to be charging. When pluged in to land power the air works but nothing else. When into 50 amps the remote controler does not display the amps used. Would it be the remote or the inverter?    [email protected]
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/26/2009
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

I am trying to figure out your exact problem, When plugged into shore power your batteries are not charging with the inverter? IS all the AC voltage working? On the inverter do you see any LED lights, if so which ones are lit up and are they flashing?

Thanks, Robert..

when pluged onto shore power the batteries do not charge and i have no power to the micro , tv , vcr ,dvd. the batteries do charge when the engine is running. when on the invert light on and the charge light blinking. i have 12v in and 110 v to inverter. the two fuses are both hot with inverter on . bottom turns inverter off . top breaker stays hot on both sides with switch on or off but no power when bottom breaker turned off. no power to either one when inverter turned off. the two sets of wires on the right side of the inverter , first set no power with inv. off 120v with inv. on . second set 120v with inv. on but nothing on wires when not conected and inv. quits when wires pulled apart. always had shore power to work everything before.
RV Mechanic: Bill Gibbs, RVIA Certification replied 13 years ago
Bill Gibbs
Bill Gibbs, RVIA Certification
Customer The way it sounds to me with this inverter is that one power wire coming from your 120 panel goes into the inverter and inside it is split so that on or off as long as you are plugged in there should be power allowed through. This is most generally the power for the micro as well as the front console television and accessories. If this is where you have no power as then the inverter is the trouble usually and not the panel. Now also on this freedom there are 12 volt in as well as 12 volt out. The in side is what is used to create the 120 power needed for the alloted plugs. The other 12 volt wires are the ones that charge the batteries. This inverter does both charge the batteries as well as create 120 vac to run the circuits designated for it. This also explains why the power is out. Make sure you have 120 vac power to the inverter and not out and also check both 12 volt connections to see what is there. I am willing to bet that the inverter is out and needs repaired. You can get 120 vac power to the circuits by putting a junction box there temporaraly and connecting the 120 vac in wires to the 120 vac out wires. Make sure you are unplugged when you do this so you wont get shocked. I hope this helps, Bill P.S. If you would like to pay the original tech for the answer fine. I am only trying to assist you as well. Thanks

could it be the battery insolator relay

Well the isolator relay shouldn't really be at fault. You need to know what power is there and where it goes or doesn't. As I said if you have 120 coming into the inverter with it off and nothing coming out and this unit is plugged in to shore power than there is a problem with the inverter. You can unplug the wires to the panel to eliminate that from the system . I am not quite sure of what they use to inform the unit of the power, either a switch that closes when plugged in that recognizes the power and closes to let it through. But if it is going into the unit and wont come out then the inverter is the trouble. Now is this a xantrex or a Heart inverter as well. I hope this helps you to locate power and then give your findings back here