We bought a used 1988 Mallard travel trailer and no book for repairs. We have the battery hooked up also electric

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We bought a used 1988 Mallard travel trailer and no book for repairs. We have the battery hooked up also electric plugged in. The noise we are getting sounds like a fan by the circuit breaker. It seems to last forever - could you tell me why this fan is running?
Answered by Nick in 3 hours 13 years ago
imglogo
Nick
5+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Auto Body Technician, Heavy Equipment Repairs, Heavy Duty Engine Repairs, Brake and Transmission Repairs

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. I believe the noise you hear is the fan for the inverter. The inverter charges the batteries in the coach and is used for other devices as well. It has a fan to help dissipate the heat created when operating. It is not usually to noisy unless it is getting worn out or it could be real dusty or have other obstruction. Does this help any?
Customer
Does it still run when the battery is fully charged? How do you clean something like that?

I am going to opt out and give another expert a chance to answer your question.

Customer

Travel Trailer is going to be parked permanently with no need for battery but we like the convenience of indicator panel for ex., water level, etc. Is this guage strickly 12 volt?39922.7060091088
Hi....
i will try and answer your questions for you...
first of, onanman is correct, the fan noise is the converter fan running. they are just like the fans on your computer, sometimes they noisier than others.... depending on the load put on the converter, the fan usually shuts down after long period of inactivity.. if it doesnt ever shut down, then it probably has a bad control circuit somewhere.... it wont effect the converter, but can be annoying... the fix is a new converter though, so really, an expensive fix if not causing any problems....

if you are hooked up permenantly, this converter will still provide 12v, even if you remove the battery.... since it is hooked into the 110v circuit.. your monitor panel is 12v only, it wont run on anything else. as are most of your interior lights, and your fridge, air conditioner etc all need 12v for their control boards. so i would still keep a converter in the trailer and you will still require 12v for things to function. having a battery is not required, unless you running the slide rooms, you need a battery for that.
hope that answeres your questions....

Thankyou for your question.. please remember this is the answer page and to click accept if you are satisfied with my answer so i get paid for my efforts.. Please also note, accepting my answer does not terminate our correspondance, you may continue to reply after accepting and i will work with you until the problem is solved.
thankyou and please let me know if you require further assistance.....

:Nick:

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Nick
logo
logo
logo
5+ years of experience
imglogo
Nick
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.