RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

generator with the intent of using it for the house and the RV.

Bought a generator with the...
Bought a generator with the intent of using it for the house and the RV. Suddenly realized I have only two 120 volt outlets (20 amp) and one four post receptacle for 240 volt at full amps. The generator is 5700 watts. What is the proper way to end up so I may connect the 120 volt system of the house or RV. Thanks, Lou [email protected]
3/31/2009
RV Mechanic: R & K RV, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic

Looking at you first question and this one, You can only accomplish one 20 amp circuit. There is no way to "combine" the two 20 amp circuits and get more amperage on 120 volt. The generator does have two separate 120 volt circuits but they are 180 degrees out of phase. Combining them will create a dead short.

You RV runs on 120 volts only at a 30 ampere max load. The 20 will give you room for your A/C and coverter but thats about it. Since most items in an RV run on 12 volts, this is not a huge deal.

The only way to make it work correctly is to rewire the RV for 240 volt which will requie a different distribution panel

.

Probably not what you wanted to here but I hope this is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any concerns or questions regarding this matter.

Than You,

Ronnie

Ronnie, the converter is to supply the 12vdc which will power most of the system. So I am not that far off? Re wiring the electrical, converter and air conditioner for 240 volt would be a huge expense. I do not undferstand why they sell these for RV's but they cannot fully supply the full wattage. Thanks after your response I will accept.

True,

The converter will run things but its main function is to keep the battery charged and healthy so that the load can be drawn from the battery's high ampacity. You would not have to rewire the A/C, converter, or anything in the RV. What you would need to do is install a new breaker panel with a 2 pole main breaker. From that point, your service would be 240 but you would have two separate legs of 120. You would use singe pole breakers (as it is now) and it would split the load between the two legs giving you nearly 50 amps of current.

A new panel and a 50 amp shore power cord would do the trick.

Our Designer 5th wheel is a 50 amp service. It has a 10 circuit Square D panel and all of the breakers are single pole. There are not any 240 devices with this setup, only two branches of 120.

I would be glad to help you with this if you need more information. Panels are cheap. 4 wire #6 shore cord is a little pricey.

I think that it would be a Grand idea if someone sold a 120 volt 30 amp generator with the RV plug built in!! As many RV folks as there are, you'd think that someone would put something out there just for our application.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks,

Ronnie

R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic
Ronnie, I appreciate your input. Do I contact you through this service by asking for you directly?

You can go to your main page under "my questions" and click on the R & K RV link.

It will ask you if you want to ask this expert a question.

I will get an email from Just answer and I will get back with you.

Thanks for the accept. It is much appreciated.

Have a Great Evening,

Ronnie