RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Montana: Connected RV to electrical hookup..trailer..12 volt…

Customer Question
Just purchased a 1999 Keystone...
Just purchased a 1999 Keystone Montana 5th Wheel RV. Connected RV to electrical hookup and sparks happened immediately in back of the trailer. All inside 12 volt and 110 lights worked properly as well as the two slide-outs. However the next morning the 4 lights controlled by the 110 (light above couch, Sconce light on wall, plug-in on wall below the sconce, and light above kitchen table) do not come on. RV 12 volt fuses all checked out ok and are working (the two 12 volt lights next to table & couch all come on when their switch is turned on).
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
3/15/2009
RV Mechanic: R & K RV, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic

Are all of these items located in the slideout portion of the fifth wheel?

If so, there will be a junction box mounted underneath the slide on the inside of the wall (below the floor). It will have a coiled cable going to the junction box or it will have a conduit with wire inside that slides out with the room. On some units, the conduit slides in and out of a big plastic tube for guidance and protection. If you saw sparks near the rear, it may be in or near the junction box.

There will usually be two boxes and two cords or conduits. One will be for your D/C lights.

Let me know if this is the case and we can take it from there.

Thanks for the question,

Ronnie

Yes, these lights are all in the couch, kitchen table/chairs slide-out.

OK,

It is kind of a common problem. The wire going to the outer wall of the slide has to move with the slide. Over time, wires can chaffe, connections can come loose, wires can get pinched (the usual suspect), all of which can cause fireworks.

Can you look underneath and tell me what you see? Unplug the shore power before you go under there as a safety precaution. Crawling under an energized RV makes you a short path to ground. Safety First.

Thanks,

Ronnie

Unfortunately the unit is about an hour & ahalf away so can't tell you at this time what I see. Can I get back with you next week with this same question?

Yes you can. We can just continue from here.

Thanks,

Ronnie

R & K RV
R & K RV, RV Mechanic