RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

MY GENERATOR IS STILL RUNNING BUT..STOPPED GOING..MY CAMPER..inverter…

Customer Question
MY GENERATOR IS STILL RUNNING...
MY GENERATOR IS STILL RUNNING BUT THE POWER SUPPLY STOPPED GOING INTO MY CAMPER. COULD THIS BE THE INVERTER PROBLEM? OR?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
2/4/2009
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer..

What is the Year, and Make of the RV?

Have you had the generator serviced recently?

When you plug into Shore Power do you have 110 volt power?

Thanks, Robert

IT IS A LATER 90S MODEL FLEETWOOD CARIBOU CAB OVER CAMPER. THE GENERATOR I WAS USING IT ON I JUST BOUGHT LAST YEAR. THE CAMPER HAS A BUILT IN PROPANE GENERATOR BUT THE BATTERY DIES SO I CAN''T GET THAT ONE STARTED UNTIL I CHARGE THE BATTERIES OR JUMP START. SO I PLUGGED IT INTO MY GAS GENERATOR INSTEAD. I HAVEN'T TRIED TO START THE PROPANE GENERATOR YET SINCE THIS HAPPENED. SO NOT SURE IF I WILL WORK OR NOT. I JUST USED IT YESTERDAY. I HAVE RAN IT ON THIS GAS GENERATOR QUITE A FEW TIMES ALREADY. LAST NIGHT IT WAS RUNNING OK THEN ABOUT 12PM I NOTICED A SLIGHT CHANGE BUT COULDN'T TELL UNTIL 3AM WHEN I WOKE UP FREEZING AND HAD VERY LOW BATTERY POWER. GENERATOR WAS STILL RUNNING BUT NO POWER WAS GOING TO CAMPER TO CHARGE BATTERY AND HAVE POWER INSIDE.

OK

Do you have a make and model on the generator you are using, this may help.. Also have you had a chance to plug the RV into shore power?

Thanks, Robert

CAMPER IS PARKED OUT ON MY PROPERTY AND THERE IS NO POWER AVAILABLE. CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT FROM KRAGEN 4000WATT SURGE POWER & 3500W-RUNNING POWER.

OK

I understand about the shore power. I hate to ask some many questions but it helps in giving an accurate answer.... How do you have this generator hooked up to the RV? Do you have an adapter and using the shore cord?

Thanks, Robert

no problem, the generator has a rv plug in and a 110 plug, i was using th rv plug and also tried the adapter to the 110plug still the same no power to camper. with the main shore cord.

OK

IF this generator has an socket you can plug in an appliance directly I would try that first to see if the generator is in fact producing power, make sure it is isolated from the coach first. After checking this I would check all your breakers and GFIS in the coach. The GFI'S are similar to what you would find in a house they will have a test and reset button. Next I would find the inverter for the unit normally inverters are located on the outside in one of your bays. Most inverters have breakers located on them, make sure they have not tripped. After doing all this I would really try to plug the unit into shore power before to see if the power comes on. Normally the incoming power will be set up one of two ways. You may have a transfer switch that detects the power source, IF you have to plug in your LP generator to a socket to bring power into the coach then you do not have one. IF you do not, then you have a transfer switch. The transfer switch detects the source of power and it is common when these go bad that only one source will work, sometimes you will only get power from the generator (your main generator LP) and sometimes the shore power source will not work. IF you have power from the LP generator this would be something to look at. Also that portable generator should be protected with breakers make sure they have not tripped. IF you have any other concerns or questions please feel free to ask me..

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!!