RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2006 Monaco: norcold..auto, lp and ac, but it is still cooling…

Our 4 door Norcold refrigerator...
Our 4 door Norcold refrigerator (1200LRIMSS) in a 2006 Monaco Diplomat is cycling between auto, LP and AC, but it is still cooling. Monaco suggested turning off all power for an hour which we did. It continues to cycle. We've been told we need a new circuit board (it will be our 3rd in less than 3 years). What else could be causing this problem?
1/17/2009
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 13 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Hi, this is Michael, I am very familiar with the 1200LRIM Norcold. Unfortunatly, it is correct that the circuit board is causing it to cycle. Question, when you had trouble the other 2 times, were the symptoms the same? Have you tried to unplug the refer from the rear plug, and run on gas only? The board senses the introduction of 110v and switch's, I'm wondering if there is no 110v available, if it will switch or continue to run on LP. The other thing that comes to mind, because it is a control problem, were the other boards installed with the upgraded control pad? This is the switch on the refer inside the coach...............Michael
My husband unplugged the rear plug and it continued to cycle. Then he shut the gas off with the same result when it was restarted. We seem to have the original control pad that came with RV when we bought it in April 2006.
Hi, thank you for your response. Unfortunatly, the unit will need to have the control board, and this time, have the upgraded board/eyebrow installed this time. Now having said that, ck a couple of things before you do.. ck the dc voltage going to the refer, ck the 110v voltage going to the refer, ck the grounds at the refer and the one going to the refer......................My thoughts are going to overvoltage (somewhere) if you have an inverter, ck the voltage when it is on without the benifit of shorepower, also the same with the dc voltage with and without......................Wondering if perhaps the unit (even if its a converter, same theory) the unit is overcharging, Have you had any battery problems with house system, adding water an inordinate amount, had to replace, or anything out of the ordinary
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
We have a voltage regulator that prevents overcharging. We'll test using the inverter only and maybe try a different hook up in case the problem is with our electrical hook up. Is there some way to save your responses so I can share them with my husband when he returns from the store? Can you email me [email protected]? We've had no recent problems with the house battery. The coach does seem to readjust itself to the right (releveling) when a train goes by at night but this is likely unrelated? The carpenter's leveler shows we're just a smidge off front and back and on the mark left to right.
Thanks for your insight.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX and comments can be printed out, or know that this line of communication will stay open for at least 24 hours, and we can still talk. Do check these things because I'd love to findout whats going on, as I'm sure you do.. I also believe that there is a link to the control module, and the upgraded control panel........Michael.........And as far as level, it would only effect the cooling capacity if it was a factor, not the operation.........................