RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Travel trailer..rebuilt..the circuit box inside the trailer…

Customer Question
We bought a used travel...
We bought a used travel trailer to live in while our house is demolished and rebuilt. Before I had the proper outlet installed, I 'hot-wired' the trailer plug with an extension cord to pop out the sides of the trailer. Now that the proper outlet has been created by an electrician, I have power to the outlet box and to the circuit box inside the trailer -- but no lights . . . no nothing. Did I mess up the 'board'? What needs to be done? Fleetwood Wilderness 330FK, 2007
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2009
RV Mechanic: E.Hagen, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
E.Hagen
E.Hagen, RV Mechanic

First make sure you have 110vac inside the trailer and all breaker are on in the breaker panel. If so check the 12vdc fuses at the converter. If you have a wall mount converter you will have 2 green 30 amp blade fuses just above the other fuses. If you have a stand alone converter witch would be mounted in a compartment or cabinet not with the breaker panel, there should be fuses in the end of it. Every thing in the coach uses 12 volts DC (battery) to operated except the tv and microwave. If you don't have any battery power and the converter is not charging then nothing will work. Try checking the fuse and get back with me if that is the problem.

Good Luck

I have checked the fuses and they seem to be OK -- I'll check again this morning. What is a '110vac'. My electrician checked the the breaker panel and thought all the fuses were OK. He finds that there is power to the trailer. There must be some disconnect.

Do you know what kind of convert you have. Is it a brown wall panel with breaker and fuses all in the top half of the box? Or do you have a separate breaker panel from the fuses. Breaker are like what you have in a house. 110vac means regular power like what you have in you house and would plug the camper in to. If you batters are dead and you plug in camper in is sometime will "BLOW" the battery style fuses at the converter, Thus the converter will not charge the batters.

If you have the brown wall mounted converter there will be 2 green 30 amp "Automotive style" fuses on the right side of the upper half of the convert/power panel. If your converter is what is called a "Stand alone" there will be a fuse or fuses on one end of the convert. This converter will be mounted in a cabinet or storage bay, some time under the refer or couch. It will be a silver box with 2 battery cables and a regular plug in with an outlet near by. If you have a volt meter set it to 20 volts DC and test to see if the battery has any power in it. A fully charged battery will be around 12.7 to 13.4 volts. If the convert is charging the battery the reading should be about 14.4 or so.

If there is a disconnect in the coach most of the time it only turns off the battery and the converter will still power the light.

Let me know what kind of converter you have and we can go from there.

Good luck.

My 'converter' has both fuses (on one side) and breakers on the other side. Both the fuses and the breakers seem to check out. Unit is mounted in a cabinet above the toilet.

Have no lights . . . no nothing after a hot-wired the trailer plug with an extension cord.

Thanks

Sound like you have a stand alone converter that would be mounted some where else. The breaker and fuse panel in the bath room would be just that, a breaker panel. The converter is most likely mounted in some where in a cabinet or compartment. I would be silver and have both a plug for house power and 2 to 3 wires on it for the battery connection. All of your lights run off of the battery and converter. They are what is called 12 volt lighting. Plugging you coach in to a power pole just powers up the 110 volts outlets and microwave. The converter that is plugged in to a 110 volt outlet then charges the battery and powers up the lighting, refrigerator, water heater, and furnace. If you can use a battery charger, charge the battery. If the lights and other items come on then you know the convert is either bad or has a blown fuse. Now on the convert if you can locate it there should be 2 fuses on the side of it.

Try charging the batters and see if the items power up. If you have the fleetwood owners manual it should tell you where the converter is located. Mose of the time it is mounted down on the floor level or outside in the compartments.

Let me know and good luck.

I have been using the power from the trailer to run equipment at a nearby contruction site (building a run-in shed for horses). Hooked the battery to a charger -- now everything works except the microwave.

I think we're getting on top of this.

Ok that is good. Do you have a house lamp or a drop light you can plug in to the outlet for the microwave? This will tell you if the microwave is bad or if the outlet is not getting power. While your at it check all of the other outlets. Most of the time the microwave outlet is on its own breaker. Check all of the GFIC to make sure they are not tripped as well.

Now we know that the converter is not powering up off of the 110 volts AC. We just need to find the converter. Again your going to have to hunt for the converter and like I said it will be located probly at floor level in a cabinet or outside in a compartment. By hot wiring the coach it is possible that the microwave and convert was damaged if it was wired wrong or wired to 220 volts ac instead of 110 volts ac.

Glad to hear that we are making progress.

E.Hagen
E.Hagen, RV Mechanic