RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Alfa..we ca nt get the motor home to go on 50 amp again

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Alfa...
I have a 2004 Alfa motorhome. We are plugged into 50 amp service, it was working fine until last night. The power went out and came back on, but now we can't get the motorhome to go on 50 amp again. We have turned everything off, unplugged it and re-plugged it in, but it won't go all the way to the 50 amp service. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: RV
12/11/2008
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 13 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

I would start the generator and see if this allows AC voltage into the unit. IF it DOES then I would suspect a problem with the automatic transfer switch. Sometimes they can stick and cause the issue you describe. IF the generator is not producing AC power I would check all your main breakers and then the inverter. Some inverters have re-settable breakers located on them.. Also check all your GFI'S in the unit and the exterior, these should be similar to what you find in a house they will have a test and re-set button. IF you have power on the generator I would verify you have power going into the transfer switch and coming out, no power coming out the transfer switch is the cause.. IF you have any other concerns or comments please feel free to contact me...

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

The generator and the inverter both supply the home to 50 amp. We are thinking your suggestion of the automatic trasfer switch could be the problem. Where are they generally located?

This sure does sound like the transfer switch... This could be in several locations.. I would look near the shore cord, should be a box and most of them are marked. I would then look in your exterior bay compartments, sometimes they may be behind a panel, that is removable. My experience is when this happens it needs to be replaced.. Hope this helps..

Thank You!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

One other thing that I skipped is make sure the shore power supply is good. Sometimes the post (if you are at a camp site) will have breakers. Verify the post is good... Did not want to miss that..