After jumping rv not able to establish power through 120V plug a few things work when plugged in tv, microwave and all

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: after jumping rv not able to establish power through 120V plug a few things work when plugged in tv, microwave and all outlets however the refrigerator, airconditioner and lights seem to be powered by battery and after an hour or so dim or shut off.
Answered by Robert in 6 mins 14 years ago
imglogo
Robert
12+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Auto Body Technician, Heavy Equipment Repairs, Heavy Duty Engine Repairs, Brake and Transmission Repairs

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

Just to be sure are you plugged into shore power? 15 amp, 30 amp etc??

Thanks, Robert.

Customer
yes

OK

One thing you can do is measure the voltage at the battery with a volt meter. Unplug the shore power for about 15 mins. Plug the shore power back in and watch the voltage on the volt meter at the battery. With the battery voltage being low the converter should throw a bulk charge at the batteries around 14 volts, this should slowly tapper off and then maintain a charge. The power converter takes transforms the 120 volt shore power into 12 volts. The converter is responsible for providing 12 volts to such items as the lights, the control board for the fridge and the roof AC needs to see good voltage. When you get below 10.5 volts you are going to start having problems. I would suspect a problem with the converter. Some converters also have fuses and re-settable breakers make sure they are also ok.. IF you have any other concerns or comments please feel free to contact me..

Customer
is it possible the converter is gone bad because of a flux of power from jumping vehicle

You bet... The converter is very sensitive to voltage. Common for people to accidentally plug into 220 volts and take the converter out. IF for some reason the system was backfed it could damage the converter. IF all the fuses are good and breakers I would see if it is charging the house battery, if not there is a issue with it. It really serves two functions taking the incoming 120 volts and making 12 volts and charging the house battery. A good RV shop can test this very quickly. Please let me know if you have more concerns..

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Robert
logo
logo
logo
12+ years of experience
imglogo
Robert
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.