I Have a 2007 Prairie Schooner Fifth Wheel. I disconected the two 12 volt batteries then reconnected connecting the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I Have a 2007 Prairie Schooner Fifth Wheel. I disconected the two 12 volt batteries then reconnected connecting the positive leads then the negative leads. after doing this the airconditioner with thermostat, refrigerator, monitor lights, all floresent lights, and fantastic fan is not working, but the bedroom airconditioner, microwave, power bath vent and all other interior, exterior lights and plugs still work. All fuses in the fuse box are good although the two 30 amp fuses in the invertor are not and blow when replaced. Now the question; the two 12 volt battery hook up is positive to positive and negative to negative could it be a bad invertor, or is the batteries not hooked up right or could it be something else.
Answered by Bill Gibbs in 2 hours 14 years ago
imglogo
Bill Gibbs
18+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Auto Body Technician, Heavy Equipment Repairs, Heavy Duty Engine Repairs, Brake and Transmission Repairs

Danny, I need more information on the wires and whether these are 12 volt batteries or 6 volt. The things you are telling in the question only let me know that the 110 vac is working and that you have no 12 volt. The air in the bedroom has the controls right on it I am assuming. Please give me as much detail as you can. Bill
graphicJust to make you feel assured that you have hooked up the batteries correctly.............................
Customer
Bill , Thanks for the reply, the batteries are 12 volt wired positive to positive, negative to negative, this is what is confusing i have 12 volt power because the slides are battery operated and they work, the rv has three styles of lights, floresent, 12 volt bulb and lights 110 only, the floresent are the only ones that don't work. ellectric jacks work, power bath vent works ,microwave works, washer dryer works, ac in bedroom manual controls works, all outside lights and plugs work, all inside plugs work, Ac with thermostat, refrigerator, fantastic fan and floresent lights and monitor lights don't work,
Have you got 50 amp service?
Customer
Yes

The reason I asked is because it sounds like one of the legs isnt powering up...With 50 amp service, its distributed into the coach with one 30amp leg (for outlets and 1leg of a/c) and the other with a 20amp leg, so ck at the pole, or run the generator. This will count in or discount the Transfer switch................

Customer
so why are the 30 amp fuses going when i replace on the inverter, no generator
Please rephrase the question so I understand..........If the a/c is running, the inverter cannot handle the load,,,,,,,And is not intended to.,,,,,,,,does that make any sense?
Customer
there is no load, nothing is running when i replace the fuses in the inverter they immediatly blow.
Ok, lets focus on that problem.................Is it the DC fuse thats blowing, or the AC Breaker?
Customer
it is the two 30 amp fuses in the front of the inverter. I would think it was the inverter except some appliances work and some do not same with the lights as i explained above.
Ok, All of the power runs through the inverter, and then to the breaker panel, some of the circuits are split into the inverter, so the circuits that are not working are inverter circuits. The thing to do is disconnect the load from the inverter ( Shut everything down, unplug ) and take the wire junction box lid off, and disconnect the wires, power everything up, and if it still occurs its the inverter............
Danny, It sounds like you have another expert in this question and he may have the answer for you. I don't know of a Prairie Schooner that came out with an inverter. It does sound to me like you are referring to the converter. An inverter makes 12 volt into 110 and a converter makes 110 into 12 volt. It does sound to me like the 12 volt is where you are having the trouble with but let the other expert have this question if you feel I am not able to do so. I hope this helps, Bill
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Bill Gibbs
logo
logo
logo
18+ years of experience
imglogo
Bill Gibbs
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.