RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Pilot: Atwood..much gas..the regulator on the tanks

Customer Question
Pilot light on Atwood 6...
Pilot light on Atwood 6 gal water heater is hard to light. Also burners on the stove also will not light consistently. Looks like there is 2 much gas pressure coming from the regulator on the tanks. Could this be the issue. The regulator was changed last year for the same issue because I thought it was defective. I bought from my local rv dealer who was not a dutchman dealer. I read in few locations that the pressure should 11WC I do not have manometer to test this. Can I adjust the regulator for the pressure or will this mess up my regulator. Another indication is that I can not the light the stove burners with a lighter it trys to blow out the flame.
Submitted: 14 years ago.Category: RV
8/28/2008
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 14 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Hi, this is Michael. Do not adjust the regulator without a monometer, you can buy one from your local rv store, they might have to order it....First , many times there will be air in the gas piping system when you get started, so before you light anything run the air out at the stove, until it lights..If after it lights, and runs a while, if the flame still jumps off. There is also a regulator on the stove......Here again, you need the monometer. The pilot light is another story...Although because of the amount of gas (very little) it uses to light, it may take an awful long time to light.....What I do is use a butane lighter stick, and fool it into thinking the burner is on... Put the valve on pilot..Push down on the pilot valve. put the lighter on the thermocouple end at the pilot outlet, let it heat up, after a while the gas valve will think the pilot is lit, and you can turn th valve to on, and the burner should come on . It will light the pilot also.....You may have to do it few times to get it to catch.............Please accept my answer this page, and get back to me...Thank you Michael
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician