RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2005 Chateau sport 28 foot..dies..camping

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Chateau...
I have a 2005 Chateau sport 28 foot. We bought it new 2 years age. Since we bought the battery always dies in the middle of the night while dry camping. I have had it in twice,all they do is check the battery. I just noticed on the last trip that the battery is almost dead when I arrive after a day of opening the door and running the fridge. I have an automatic step and apparently the fridge needs power to run on gas. Also all the detectors. I have owned two other older RV's and when the engine is running the house lights are bright on everything has plenty of power. On this one with the engine running the lights are dim and the step won't lift. I have found the fuses for the house battery and checked and changed them. Please help I really like dry camping but I can't with all the detectors beeping.   The only thing that helped a little was installing a small solor panel and pulling the fuse for the detectors. Thankyou.
Submitted: 14 years ago.Category: RV
8/3/2008
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 14 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

OK

Do you have a generator? How many House batteries and what size are they? (6 or 12 volt)

Thanks, RJ

I have a generator that I usually don't use, quiet camping places. I have the 1 large deep cycle 12 batery. The largest and best I can stuff in there. Thanks again.

OK

This is a rough subject with the dry camping.. I am sure you are aware of that when you dry camp you are only using the power off the batteries. So the more stuff you use like lighting, appliances, etc. will take the battery down quickly. One thing I would check first is to make sure the converter is charging the batteries correctly when you are plugged in, simply hook a digital voltmeter up to the house battery then plug the unit in. IF the converter is working correctly it will throw a Bulk charge at the batteries if they are low, you should see the voltage at 14.2 volts and then slowly start to drop off.

Another thing you can try is to hook up another 12 volt house battery in Parallel this will give you a longer bank of voltage but since the batteries have no way of being charged dry camping will eventually run out over time.

One very simple test you can do is shut everything off. Get a 12 volt test light and disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable from the house battery and hook the test light up between the cable and the battery post, if the light is very bright you have a large draw in the system, you can then start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes dim, and you will also have some light for the control boards like the water heater etc.. But you may be able to pinpoint the circuit and manage the power a little better.

Hope this helps.. IF you have anymore concerns please feel free to contact me.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic