RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1992 Mallard Sprinter Class A Limited Edition ...

I have a 1992 Mallard...
I have a 1992 Mallard Sprinter Class A Limited Edition RV I turned on propane valve at tank turned on thermostat for heat,the fan comes on but I get no heat out of air ducts??????????
4/27/2008
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 14 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

There could be a couple different scenarios going on. Can you tell me the manufacturer and model number of the LP furnace?

Thanks..

Hydro Flame Corporation
Model #8531-11

OK

This is an older unit however most LP furnaces work the same. I will first explain the sequence the furnace goes through when starting.

The thermostat is first in line of the controls for the furnace operating circuit. By reacting to room temp. the thermostat opens pr closes a set of contact points that permit electric current to flow to the on/off switch then to the delay relay.

The delay relay incorporates a heater coil that activates a bi-metal disc closing the relay circuit.

The current then flows to the motor and activates the blower. The motor shaft powers one wheel for circulation air and another provides combustion air to the burner.

The circulating air blows against the SAIL SWITCH and as the switch is activated it completes the circuit. The sail switch is in the system as a safety device to ensure there is adequate air for combustion.

The limit switch is a safety device that protects the furnace against overheating. At a given temperature, the switch opens, thereby shutting off power to the ignition system that controls the gas valve.

Things that you can check, First check the 12 volt DC fuse or circuit breaker that protects the furnace. If the fuse is blown replace it. Low battery voltage can also cause the furnace to not work correctly, verify you do have good voltage.

This also could be a faulty sail switch, or a bad control board. I would check everything you can, make sure all your grounds on the furnace are in good condition. You can also check and make sure the electrode is not cracked.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Reply to RV help for u's Post: Hydro Flame Corporation
Model#8531-11

OK

One thing when you try to start it can you hear the ignitor clicking?

Thanks, Robert.

If I accept this what happensWhat actually activates th igniter is it the thermostat????

OK

I want you to be happy with my answer, IF you Accept we can still communicate. This could be a number of things, I wanted to explain how the furnace works. SO the thermostat is the first in line, current is getting to the Blower because it is coming on.. I would suspect a faulty sail switch or a issue with the control board, if you can not hear the igniter clicking.

Thank You, Robert

Reply to RV help for u's Post: thanks Robert so if i accept this will cost me $17 is this right

No

If you hit Accept ONCE it should only cost you $9.00. Feel free to leave feedback.

Thanks, Robert

1- more question where would the sail switch be located then i will accept thanks again

OK

The sail switch should be located directly on the blower motor. Some have a small arm that moves up and down and some are round. Make sure you check that control board also especially the ground wire.

Thanks..