Research

Ask research questions online and get Expert answers ASAP

Mail Question: Is there a way to mail a letter from home and…

Mail Question: Is there a...
Mail Question: Is there a way to mail a letter from home and get printable proof (online or other) of the date the letter was delivered? If that would be Registered or Certified mail, doesn't one have to go to the US Post Office to register that letter? Or can one order a post office pick up from home of a less-expensive Registered Letter versus more expensive 2 or 3 day Priority Mail? If forms are needed to fill out, can they be found online and downloaded? The goal is to avoid the long trip to the Post Office but get proof of delivery date without paying high fees for overnight or 2 day service. Can any of this be done at a location other than a US Post Office, e.g. Office Depot or Walmart? Or do those locations only sell stamps but cannot perform other postal services like registering mail? Ideas? Solutions?
3/6/2018
Tonya O
Tonya O, Library Assistant

The website to the United States Postal Service is www.usps.com.

That is not an answer to my question. That is a link to a website where the user with considerable time, effort and research on their own, MIGHT be able to find the answer -- in which case the user would have done all the work to find the answer, versus you, the expert who is being paid to provide the answer. No. I did not ask what the link was where I could research my own answer. I am a long-term subscriber to this service and I am paying for direct answers to direct questions -- not for links where I may or may not be able to find my own answers. If you do not know the answer to this question, you should not have attempted to collect a fee with a 10 word response, listing an extremely well known LINK most people already know and one which the subscriber could search for an answer on their own. Either provide a direct answer to this question or opt out for another expert to provide one.

You need to find another expert.

The profile shown for you on my screen shows you have no ratings and no average to date which is either a mistake by the JustAnswers.com programming / website or indicates you have little to no experience to date in answering questions. You have directed me to find another expert however that is not something that the customer or subscriber can do on their own. You as the Expert have the programming controls to Opt Out of the question which will then release it to the pool of other JustAnswers.com experts who then can choose to answer the question towards earning the fee for which they contracted, as you did. So if you are Opting Out, then do so so this question can be answered by a different expert. The alternative would be for the customer to give you a low rating which would go on your record and have an impact on your ratings. You likely would not want that in this situation so it is to your benefit to Opt Out before that rating is given. I cannot instruct you on how to Opt Out as I am not an expert with that training or knowledge nor am I a JustAnswers.com Administrator. If you do not know how to Opt Out, then it would behoove you to learn how to do so quickly so as to preserve a higher average rating than generating a lower one based on one or two star ratings that would not pay you, according to the terms of the JustAnswers.com contract.
Michael
Michael, Research Librarian

Good evening,

From my research, your local post office will have a service called "USPS Tracking". As stated on the official USPS site, "Provides tracking updates as an item travels to its destination, including the date and time of delivery or attempted delivery"

There is no charge for this service.

Another option to try is using text tracking as information can be sent to you on your phone and/or online

https://www.usps.com/text-tracking/welcome.htm

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Librarian Michael

Take care,

Librarian Michael

Michael
Michael, Research Librarian
The goal was to mail a letter from home and be able to confirm the day it arrived at it's destination. You illuminated USPS's Tracking Service and that such was free. In my own research after my original question was submitted, I discovered that Tracking Service is added on top of other mailing services for no additional charge but cannot be obtained on a standalone basis, nor can it be initialized from home without purchasing another mailing service which would be Priority Mail 2-day mail for $6.70 for a letter. Priority Mail can be purchased online and a mailing label generated that is printable from home computer / printer. For $6.70, it needs to be sent in a pre-printed Priority Mail envelope or mailer which the US Post Office can send to your home for free or have their mail carrier bring it to your home when you mail your item if you call your local post office to request it. I did all of the above, was able to mail my item successfully from home when I met my mail carrier at my door after scheduling their drop-off of a Priority Mail mailing envelope, and am now able to track online when my item arrives at it's destination. There are other mailing services that can confirm when a letter or package arrives at it's destination and some are less expensive than Priority Mail, e.g. Signature Confirmation for only about $3.00, but those services cannot be purchased online nor can the letter or package be mailed from home -- a trip to the post office is required to purchase the service and send the mail via Signature Confirmation or Registered Mail which also tracks when the mailed item reaches it's destination. This was the additional research I was able to collect on my own after the original Just Answers Expert did not give me an answer and only a link to the USPS website that I was already aware of. The research I performed included waiting 1 hour on hold with the USPS phone number so as to get to a live agent who could answer my questions, and the result is the information I post above herein for your further edification and for the benefit of other readers / Just Answers Users who may have the same question. Your answer added value and was an actual answer versus just a link but it did not address the primary need which was to mail from home versus the post office and to be able to track when the mail item arrived.