Research

Ask research questions online and get Expert answers ASAP

What's the deal with FIRE EXTINGUISHERS? Do they really have…

What's the deal with FIRE...
What's the deal with FIRE EXTINGUISHERS? Do they really have to be recharged every single year? Or is that a scam from the manufacturers? I've got an old one I shot off and it pumped out white stuff that looked like it would smother anything. I have a lot of them, and to recharge every one every year is a lot of $$$.Thanks - Constance Knudsen
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/25/2017
Michael
Michael, Research Librarian

Good evening Constance,

I understand completely as having two rental properties that the tenants have to have their fire extinguishers looked at on a regular basis. As for recharging them each year, went ahead to research what is the standard. This service that is linked below which has been around for over 65 years states that it is not necessary as every few years would be the right amount. They also offer a quick video and reasons when you do need to have it recharged:

https://www.albanyfire.net/about-contact/blog/51-why-do-my-fire-extinguishers-need-recharging-every-year.html

OSHA requirements report that having your extinguishers looked at every year just to be sure that they are working correctly:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/evacuation/portable_required.html

What I would suggest is having your local fire department look at each of your extinguishers each year just to be sure that they are working as they should. They can then give you an honest opinion if recharging is required.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael, Research Librarian