Research

Ask Research Questions Online and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Research

I want create a deck from a 200 square feet flat roof. The

roof is rubber. and I...
I want create a deck from a 200 square feet flat roof. The roof is rubber. and I want to layer sleepers on top of it, and then decking on top of the sleepers. I have a spare roll of roofing rubber. and would put strips of that below the sleepers, to reduce the wear on the roof.

There is a parapet wall, and I could pay a contractor to install beams (joists?) that I could build a deck on top of, and which would take all the weight off the existing roof. But I am trying to avoid that cost. Obviously there are issues with drainage and leveling to sort out, but is it a reasonably approach?
8/29/2013
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Gina-Moderator

I realized after I posted the question that I had not given enough information. I suspect that I should provide another paragraph of details. Is that the information that your expert is waiting for?

We presently have enough information to proceed with finding a professional to answer your question.

Please remember, sometimes, finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding.

We will contact you as soon as we hear back from one of the professionals. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX business.

Best,

Gina-Moderator
Brian
Brian, Researcher
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

Yes, it is a reasonable approach. I do this all the time in deck designs. The deck essentially floats on the flat roof; do not secure it or you will get leaks. You will want to taper the sleepers to give you a level top, producing a flat deck. Sleepers should be pressure treated and definitely install a 4" strip under each, to act as a wear layer.

The only concern I have is the size of the existing joists under the flat roof. You need to verify that they are adequately sized to support the extra weight of the deck. 2x10's at 16"o.c. would be nice to see.

You will also need to install a scupper through the parapet. You essentially cut a hole or slot through it and flash it well so that the flat roof can drain. You probably already have one or some other drain that is currently draining the roof; if you do then no need to add anymore drains/ scuppers.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please rate my answer if I have completely helped you today, so that I am credited for my time assisting you. Rating my answer does not cost you any more, and only by your rating am I compensated.
Brian
Brian, Researcher
Brian
Brian
Brian, Researcher