Renault

Renault Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Renault

Our Renault Scenic increasingly has a problem starting.

Turns over but will not...
Our Renault Scenic increasingly has a problem starting. Turns over but will not catch. I see this problem represented over all the forums so obviously a common problem. Happens almost every time now and usually starts after a few goes but today in danger of flooding engine and have had to leave it. Was getting to the point where it would not even turn over...
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 103,000 approx. i dont think the battery is very old... we have owned it for approx 4 years and the problem is getting worse...
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, or find a solution. Though we have no knowledge of cars and not the money to take it to the shop right now...
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well not a great deal, there seem to be a variety of reasons offered out there. Fuel pump problems, sensor blocked, immobiliser, none of which appear to really get to the nub of it...
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Renault Mechanic should know about your Renault?
Customer: It has a number of issues and feels like its on its last legs. Increasingly when driving it it has a grinding vibration, which gets increasingly loud with more speed.... but I dont feel these issues are connected as the non start problem has always been there to a greater or lesser degree...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Renault Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
5/30/2016
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

Hi im kevin what year is your scenic and what engine size do you have fitted ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1.6 engine 2001
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I should say hello and apologies for keeping you waiting!

Ok the first thing i would recommend is to have the crankshaft position sensor replaced .this is a very common issue on your engine and is well know to cause your sympthoms

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

I would only get part from renault as it comes with a peice of loom that needs to be soldered in

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have seen on the forums that this has not always solved the problem. Anything else you recommend?

If you have a crank and non start it could be ignition coils starting to fail which are also very common but in almost all cases its the crank sensor

Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK Kevin. Thank you.

No problem

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Technician