Renault_Service
Renault_Service, Service Manager
Experience:  15 years experience on older model Renaults
14892859

2004 RENAULT ESPACE CLUTCH PEDAL GOES LIMP AFTER NO USE

Customer Question

2004 RENAULT ESPACE CLUTCH PEDAL GOES LIMP AFTER NO USE FOR APPROX 30MINS BUT PUMPING IT A FEW TIMES AND IS OK AGAIN FOR APPROX 30 MINS
Category: Renault
Expert:  Renault_Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. What you have here is either a clutch cylinder internal seal issue, or weak springs on the clutch pressure plate. . When you press the clutch, you force hydraulic pressure to the transmission, where it enters and pressurizes the clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinder, when pressurized, moved the shift fork that moves the clutch. If the clutch pedal is limp, there is insufficient pressure being exerted to the fluid (via the clutch arm, via the diaphragm springs on the clutch pressure plate) to force the pressurized fluid back into he master cylinder reservoir. More often than not, the cylinders are the main cause of your issue. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to replace both of the clutch cylinders (the master cylinder and the slave cylinder). I would recommend that you do not replace one by itself. The thinking here is if one is bad, the other is not too far behind. And, a new cylinder in either position may not activate of be activated by a weak cylinder that was nto replaced. This could cause you to be unable to shift gears.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to replace the slave and master cylinder does the gearbox have to be removed or is the slave on the outside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the clutch and flywheel was replaced 20000 miles back is the slave cylinder internal or external?

External. Should not need to pull the trans