Renault

Renault Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Renault

Our 2003 Renault Espace has developed a problem where it is

Customer Question
very hard to put the...
Our 2003 Renault Espace has developed a problem where it is very hard to put the car into first gear from neutral. In fact, it is only possible if we first put the car into 2nd while stationary, then change from 2nd to 1st. Any ideas ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Renault
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/25/2015
Renault Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

Hi I'm Kevin is this the same with car running and ans with it off

Sorry for the delay. Yes, it is the same whether or not the engine is running. It is as if there is no 'slot' to move the gear lever into from neutral. However, if you select 2nd then it is easier to move the gear lever directly from 2nd to 1st (this is while the car is stationary).

Ok this rules out clutch system there are two options really either gear linkage is worn or gearbox is worn .there are known issues with gearbox bearings on some of these models but normally causes noise aswell as stiffness.does gear crunch when it goes in to gear or does it go in smooth once lined up?

Once I go from 2nd to 1st, it goes in smoothly. There's no crunching or noise.

I suspect from what your saying that you have an internal syncro issue causing gear to bulk I would need road test to confirm but I'm quite sure this will be the outcome .your garage should be able to confirm with a simple road test

Thank you. If that is the issue, how much needs to be done to rectify it ? The Espace is getting quite old now and I have to question whether each repair is worth it !

If that's the issue it's gearbox out to repair could be looking at around £1000 to fix

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Technician