Renault

Renault Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Renault

I have a 2001 Renault clio 1.2 16v showing the electrical fault

light. Diagnosis shows fault DF045...
I have a 2001 Renault clio 1.2 16v showing the electrical fault light. Diagnosis shows fault DF045 Manifold Pressure Sensor circuit, Below the min level.
Map sensor has been changed, Wires to ECU checked and are all fine, Genuine Renault spark plugs fitted. Car has a slight misfire and I dont know if this problem is related or not, but the Carbon canister below the drivers headlight is clicking.
Any help greatly apprecaited.
8/9/2011
Mike, ASE Certified Technician

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Mike :

More often than not - the fault code you have here on this model, doesn't refer to an actual component - ( MAP sensor ) the map sensors' function is being altered /affected by the base cause of the fault - and that is a dirty (internally ) TB.. throttle body.

Mike :

This will cause the faults you have - all the faults you mention... the readings, the clicking unit ( CC ) - the slight misfire --

Mike :

Its a common error to renew a sensor just because the fault code relates to it but in this case, its an issue with the TB as above.

Mike :

You need to be give it an absolute thourough clean - along with breather pipe work etc - Use a good spray cleaner from a car shop - and give it all - a thorough clean. Actuate the throttle plate etc as you clean it - and make sure its all clean and dried out before you try it.

Customer:

I will give that a try 1st thing in the morning.

Mike :

Once that all done - I suggest fitting a new fuel filter and air filter if needed.. Then use a good quality fuel system cleaner poured into the tank to clean through the TB even more so - this will help even more and finish it for you.

Mike :

Hi there - I see you joined me

Mike :

So do that -all that as above - it takes a good couple or three hours to do a good / proper job ..

Customer:

hi, I will follow your advice and see how i go

Mike :

No problem at all - - Im very pleased to have helped you -

Feel free to re contact me using the reply button if you need to - Meanwhile - - Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...

Customer:

ok, many thanks.

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
I have tried all you said - No difference!!!
Hello again - thank you for your reply..

I need to know then exactly what you have done - please outline the procedures you did / the things you did exactly for me -

Rgds , MIKE.................................

I removed the inlet manifold, removed the throttle body and cleaned it thoroughly although it looks likes it has been replaced fairly recently! I cleaned any oil from inside the manifold and air filter housing and replaced the air filter.
Hello again - Im sorry I couldn't reply to you sooner as I was off this weekend gone..

You could have a faulty TB - but I would prefer you to have more in depth tests dome first - to include fuel system pressure tests, vacuum tests on the engine and live data tests on the management systems.. then with doing that as above, the areas of fault / concern should show up...

Most good garages can do the above for you with the equipment for the job... that would be the best way forward now on this one I feel..and then progress as found..

I hope that helps you further..

Best Rgds, MIKE..
I have had the car with a Renault specialist diagnosed the problem straight away as soon as I described the symptoms!
I'm sorry to say that it was none of the things you pointed out!
Hello again - thank you for your reply.

Im sure you realise its not always easy trying to work with someone who is doing the work on line / from here..

We always do our very best to help all and everyone.

It would be helpful if you were to have mentioned just what the fault was - but either way, Im glad to hear you have it sorted out.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.
The fault was the ecu, apparently a common problem!
Hi again..

Thank you for your reply..

Its not at all "normal" - a regular / common issue for the ecu to fail - though of course they do--- what is common, is to have chaffed wiring loom to the Ecu - but you would normally have a specific fault code for that - or other symptoms as that often affects other circuits too... but then... vehilces do some "odd" things now and again - we do see / get odd things occur from time to time..

Once again, thank you for your reply ..and Im pleased its all sorted for you.

Best RGds - MIKE.
Mike, ASE Certified Technician