Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

You have been dating someone for 16 months. You went into…

Customer Question
You have been dating someone...
You have been dating someone for 16 months. You went into this relationship knowing he was in love with someone else. He doesn’t accept tags of you on his FB page. It’s not that he is private either . A few weeks back i asked him over the phone where his heart was and where i stood. There was dead silence . We did not talk for a few days. Then i finally talked to him face to face and he said there is a place in his heart for me but he is scared to love again. He said he doesn’t want space and he doesn’t want to see other people. He said he didn’t think he still loved his ex now. He compared our relationship to the medallion in Ace Ventura ???? Not sure what that meant . I asked if he thought he would ever love me completely and he said it’s possible . I just need advice on what to do at this point . Do i stay ? Do i continue to put into something that might not ever be ? I’m really confused . If my decision is to stay what stipulations should i consider or give him . At what point do i need to walk away . This is very draining
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Relationship
3/29/2018
Counselor: John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC) replied 3 months ago
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello. My name is John. I honestly think the only way you are ever going to discover if he loves you is to walk away. That said, love is more of a commitment than anything. It starts as a spark and through time grows into a flame. If he is not willing to commit to making it happen, it certainly isn’t going to happen by accident. Does that make sense?
Do i just walk away or say i can’t do this ?
I would say give him an ultimatum, but it is difficult to force someone to say that they love you. I think you tell him you really do care for him, but you cannot continue without more of an investment from him. If he doesn’t love love you, there is no sense in waisting yours or his time. Give him a chance to think it over , but if he doesn’t try to stop you, move on.
This is great ! Thanks
I’m glad I could help. I hope you will rate me accordingly so I can be credited with my service.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.