Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I have 16 yo twins who are starting to work for the first…

I have 16 yo twins...
I have 16 yo twins who are starting to work for the first time. I have tried very hard over the past 10 years or so to teach them the value of money, saving, living within your means and spending your money on things that appreciate instead of depreciating. They live 1/2 the time with their mother whose lifestyle is the opposite of that and who instead of owning a house or saving any money, lives in a subsidised apartment, gets government assistance and spends her paycheck and child support every week and buys them things like cheap but flashy jewelry, watches, etc and tells them it's ok to buy expensive sneakers and clothing with there paycheck. I have an illness which may end up being life ending, and want to know what else I could do to instill that in them. Even though I lead by example and talk to them a lot about this my son has not even started working yet and already has plans on how to spend his money. I just don't want them to end up living like there mother if I'm not around anymore and don't want them to blow through their 7 figure inheritance after a trust gives them control of the money / real estate later in life. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Answered in 4 days by:
3/26/2018
Carlett F
Carlett F, Counselor

Hello! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I’m CarlettF LPC and I can help you today. I'll be back shortly with my reply!

You are giving your girls a wonderful gift by teaching them the value of money and helping them to develop strong financial values. My suggestion is that you keep doing what you are doing. They may not fully appreciate it now but trust me they are learning from you and later on, perhaps once they reach adulthood and are managing their finances on their own, everything daddy said regarding money will come back to them and they will appreciate these important lessons.

Also, they will soon realize (if they don't already) that their mom's financial values and the way she is handling her money is not elevating her life. Your girls do not want to live their adult lives in subsidized housing and on government assistance, at least once they are adults and see that other young upwardly mobile adults are not living this way they will not want to either.

They are still very young and their understanding and personal value systems are still developing. Give them some time. Also as much as you can expose them to any outside resources in your community that teaches financial literacy to young people.

Here is an article you may find very helpful about teaching teens good financial values.

https://www.fool.com/personal-finance/2015/02/13/3-ways-to-teach-the-value-of-money-to-teens.aspx

There are also a number of online apps that are both educational and fun that will engage your daughters and help teach them good sound financial principles.

https://dfi.wa.gov/financial-education/educators/online-games-and-apps

I hope this helps, best regards.

Carlett

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you're satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Carlett F
Carlett F, Counselor
Carlett F
Carlett F
Carlett F, Counselor