Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I’m not sure if I’m in the right place or not. I am getting…

I’m not sure if...

I’m not sure if I’m in the right place or not

Expert's Assistant: The Psychologist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Psychologist can help you best.

I am getting back into dating at 49. And I feel I am not at all prepared for how men act in the online dating world. Dated a guy for a month, he was very interested, great connection, spoke everyday, saw each other as much as we could, then nothing, no contact for four days. I sent a message asking him how he was doing, waited two days to answer me and said he was busy, meant to call and needed to talk to me at some point. It’s been three days and still no contact. I’m so confused and I can’t understand what happened or what to do?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?

I don’t know... not even sure a psychologist can help me?

I guess I don’t know what to do if he is not willing to answer my texts or calls. Seems really childish to act this way. And I feel like a loser for falling for his act.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Carlett F
Carlett F, Counselor

Hello! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I’m CarlettF LPC and I can help you today. I'll be back shortly with my reply!

Ok, thank you
I don’t want to spend an additional 34 dollars. I’m not even sure this is the right place for me to be

I am sorry you have had to experience this after meeting someone that you really connected with... It is definitely an adjustment getting back into the dating scene after being married or in a long term relationship for so long. Dating has changed tremendously and online dating is now one of the main ways people meet and began relationships. I want to encourage you to not look at yourself as a looser in this situation you were sincere and you thought he was too.

I hate to say this but it is strong possibility that this guy was also talking to and dating other women while dating or seeing you. He probably assumed you were doing the same because after all it was a dating site you met on. It is possible that he has met someone else that has caught his interest and has now started spending time with that person, which is why you are not hearing from him.

The other possible explanation for him disappearing is he had begun to really like you a lot and it scared him...so he has pulled away to try to protect himself....

Either way it is "childish" and wrong for him to just go " Ghost" on you (a term used in dating when someone just disappears for apparent reason and suddenly stop communicating) after the two of you have had such a connection and invested time in getting to know one another. Unfortunately this is very common in the dating world now especially with online dating, but do not allow this fact to discourage you from continuing to use online dating as a method of meeting quality people. However, you should not tolerate this behavior from people, if they just suddenly disappear and stop answering your calls and texts, Remove them from your consideration as a potential partner. They have shown you that they are not serious about getting to know you, too immature for a relationship and that they are inconsistent and can not be trusted with your heart.

Also, when online dating or dating period you should get to know and date more than one guy yourself if nothing else just to leverage your heart. If it truly began to get serious with one, you can stop seeing the other. But in the early stages it is good to get to know multiple people. 2 or even 3. Have fun and take it slow. Dating is really about gathering data and really getting to know someone.

Lastly I want to refer you to a resource that might really help you out with navigating these dating streets after being off the dating scene for so long....... it really helped me. Go to YouTube... search for " Doc Reid" videos. He is a relationship coach to women, he must have at least 50 free relationship videos out there on YouTube. They are really good and full of revelation.

I wish you the Best,

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you're satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you so much for your insight, it truly was helpful and I will definitely look into the you tube videos you recommended. I know that I did the best I could with the information I had. This guy texted me every morning, we talked for hours every night. When he wasn’t with his daughters, he was with me. He took his profile down and told me that he was all in and did not want to date anyone else. So I believed him. With that said, I did not feel it was right to move on until he ended things. When he didn’t, and just stopped communication, I felt lost... I know this is about him and not me. I know that I was sincere and genuine with him. I just felt really naive, like I missed a lesson that everyone else already knows. I don’t want this experience to make me sour or bitter. I like who I am and I have to believe that I will find a partner who sees that in me. I just want to make this hurt go away. Thank you for listening. I appreciate your advice.Take care,
Lynne

Lynne, you are welcome. I know it hurts but after a little time has passed you will heal and move on, it likely will not take long because this relationship was brief. Allow yourself to feel what you feel, do not try to numb the pain or deny it. Just take this experience and learn from it....This is the healthiest way to fully heal. But during this period, do get out and about enjoying the things Lynne enjoy, spend time with friends/family. This is also a good time to re-access what you want in dating and a relationship. You will be ready to get back out there in no time.

Take Care,

Carlett

Carlett F
Carlett F, Counselor
Hi Carlett,One more quick question. I am just so completely confused by the way this guy treatment me and how into me he seemed being in stark contrast to the way he just disappeared. Is it appropriate to ask for an explanation? Or is it better to work on taking my mind off of it and move on. I don't want to seem desperate. I feel like I have been robbed of the ability to make a decision here, and it feels like I have been emotionally violated... I realize that may sound dramatic, but it's true. I'm just so confused... I will listen to some of your you tube suggestions and see if that might help me get some insight. In the meantime, I just need to know what would be in my best interest to do at this point.Thank you again!
Lynne