Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Not sure how to move on from this if he cant trust me. Ok,

Customer Question
Not sure how to...

Not sure how to move on from this if he cant trust me.

Ok, My boyfriend and I and my two teenage daughters live together. I gave him the consent to record my daughter because we were trying to catch her on a lie. He happened to record me and the kids for weeks. I didn't know at the time but had an idea, I really didn't care because I don't have anything negative to say about him and because he has some trust issues with past relationships I decided not to say anything and prove to him that I wouldn't say anything bad about him. Unfortunately, it has backfired, he confronted me with all of his recording and has accused me of making him out to be a joke. The recordings are not the best and he thinks Ive actually said things when I haven't. He doesn't believe me and I have no idea how to prove myself to him, I love him very much and want him to trust me again but I'm not sure what to do if he doesn't believe me.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?

Ive heard some of the recordings, a couple of them I proved to him that what he heard was not necessarily what he thought was being said, because the recording was somewhat clear. A lot of them are not and I cannot make out what is being said. This is the person I want to be with, no doubt but I'm not sure how to move on from this if he cant trust me.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Relationship
1/15/2018
Counselor: Therapist Leslie, Counselor replied 7 months ago
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Counselor

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

Oh dear, I understand why you are panicked and want your boyfriend to know you are committed to him and the relationship. I realize you have probably apologized profusely and imagine you have tried everything possible to make things right but please remember that at the end of the day, actions speak louder than words. In every action, prove to him you are committed and love him immensely.

Due to your boyfriend's trust issues, it might be helpful for both of you to have a few sessions of couples counseling. Perhaps you present this to him, letting him know you want both of you to be stronger as a couple and work on better ways of communicating and resolve pain from the past. Do you think he would be open to this by chance?

Again, I am so sorry as this is no doubt, a difficult situation. I do imagine that consistently kind and loving behavior on your part will show your true colors and commitment.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Counselor: Therapist Leslie, Counselor replied 6 months ago
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.